Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicks and Salmonella  (Read 1244 times)

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Chicks and Salmonella
« on: May 27, 2019, 01:10:31 pm »
Sorry me again, these chicks are causing me anxiety....... I know this isn't a medical site but you are all so knowledgable I thought I'd ask here first.

Chicks are 3 weeks old, all the kids have been keen to handle them and we've had them housed in a hutch in the back room, so they had time to grow feathers before being outside. So everyone has come into contact with poop and mess at some point.

So now to the gross bit..... over the last 16 days the 3 children have vomited. It's been a singular occasion and then a break of maybe 3 or 4 days afterwards, with another singular repercussion. No fevers, no tummy aches, no bouts of sickness just a singular event and they've felt fine. Weve just had a week go by with no one being ill and then my daughter was sick (once) on Friday night and James ill today (once).

So my question is could this be salmonella or some other bug caught from the chicks (as surely it can't be a normal bug after a gap of a week!)? Everyone washes hands etc but obviously it's easy to still have stuff spread. If it was salmonella wouldn't we all be continuously ill? Is there something else that chicks could spread that may have the same effect?

We are moving them outside now anyway but all advice welcome.

Thanks again x

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Chicks and Salmonella
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »
I think, but don’t know, that salmonella is much more serious, prolonged, etc.
I’m pretty laid back with my kids, they don’t have to wash their hands after stroking animals or getting muddy, playing in the pond, etc. 
That said, I have no doubt that chickens, all animals can carry all sorts of bugs and bacteria, probably very many unnamed, bound to be some human pathogens. Sorry, no help at all!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Chicks and Salmonella
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 09:25:08 am »

I think the main symptom of salmonella is diarrhea and they would be feeling pretty grim. Any concern and you should go to the doctor.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS