Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: should I remove the wether?  (Read 2243 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
should I remove the wether?
« on: October 13, 2010, 08:37:52 am »
When I put my small southdown tup in with the shetlands in a few weeks time should I take the wether away that is with him at the moment and put with another wether or should I let him go in with the shetlands too? Id like to know what you do, Im sure its ok to put them in together but Im just making sure?

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: should I remove the wether?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 11:27:33 am »
we have a wether thats ment for company for the ram. as the ram refuses to be seperate from the girls we are planning to eat the wether. don't keep to many wethers your paying to feed them for nothing. could you not keep your rams together.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:18:45 pm »
Im not sure of the 'correct' answer but I feel its unfair (tho not sure why) to have the wether in there, so am keeping the couple of wethers separate, and putting the ram in with the ladies in a different field. It worked well like that last year.

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 03:08:03 pm »
Last year we put our wether in with the ewes & tup as we did not want to leave him alone. It seemed to work fine although he was often to the edge of the flock.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS