Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help ! Sheep attacking our Labrador  (Read 1734 times)

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
Help ! Sheep attacking our Labrador
« on: May 13, 2019, 03:50:27 pm »
Hi Can anyone help please We bought 4 registered Soay Gimmers a couple of weeks ago.  They're settling in well, except they started attacking our lovely 3 year old Labrador with in a few days of arriving.  She is the sweetest dog and will walk about with the Chickens & Sheep, if they'd let her - one butted her in the side yesterday and really shocked her.

I don't want to keep her out of the field as she loves it in there, but can't think of anything to do.

thank you

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Help ! Sheep attacking our Labrador
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:23:16 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it too much, I would hope the lab would be sensible enough to keep out of the ewes way in future. My ewes sometimes chase and try to butt my terriers when they have lambs at foot, the terriers learn that when a ewe has clocked them they give her respect and keep out of her way.

The sheep will probably settle down in any case, maybe keep the dog on a lead for now when walking through them?

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 08:36:26 pm »
Thank you I'll try this, much appreciated  :)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:53:52 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it too much, I would hope the lab would be sensible enough to keep out of the ewes way in future. My ewes sometimes chase and try to butt my terriers when they have lambs at foot, the terriers learn that when a ewe has clocked them they give her respect and keep out of her way.

The sheep will probably settle down in any case, maybe keep the dog on a lead for now when walking through them?

Actually you'd be better not keeping the dog on the lead so she can run away and you don't get caught up in the attack! I had a shetland ewe that would attack a dog when she had lambs. Someone I know used to regularly walk his dog along the foot path crossing the field. He always kept his dog on a lead but one day she took exception to this and ran at the dog. The dog ran behind his owner and my friend took the full force of the attack on his leg. It was extremely painful and could have caused serious injury if she'd caught him at the wrong angle.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:14:53 pm »
Our Soay never bothered our Flat Coated Retriever but would instantly start to chase our working line lab bitch, right from when she was a puppy. They seemed to know that she was a sensitive soul and wouldn't stand her ground.
Keep an eye on things but hopeful your lab will learn to keep her distance and to get out of the way if they approach. If your dog is obedient I would leave her off lead.
Ours have given up chasing our girl now. Not sure why! Hopefully yours will settle soon.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 07:29:45 am »
My Zwartbles will chase my German Shepherd pup.  I keep her on a lead as she would chase back and that way leads to disaster. 

LeanneR88

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 10:44:58 am »
One of my ewes like to chase and head butt my springer spaniel, she has just learnt to keep her distance from her if in field :)

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: Help ! Sheep attacking our Labrador -Update
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 09:39:12 am »
Hi again, She now keeps out of their way, but when they decide to run at her she turns and runs through them ! Sorted ! 
Thank you everyone  :) [size=78%] [/size]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS