Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to shear and fly strike prevention  (Read 1920 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
When to shear and fly strike prevention
« on: May 11, 2019, 12:45:13 pm »
I’ve the option of booking my sheep in for a shearing next weekend. Is this about the right time? I can’t find a definitive answer anywhere! A lot of them are starting to look patchy where their fleece is coming out anyway. They’re only just over a year so don’t believe they would’ve been sheared last year??
Also, do you treat for flystrike straight away afterwards? Like on the way back out into the field?
Thank you!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: When to shear and fly strike prevention
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 05:10:34 pm »
My ewes are being done on Monday. There’s no need to put any pour on for flystrike until a month after shearing.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 06:23:15 pm »
Thanks Twizzel!
So shear, leave a month, then treat. The guy in the local farmer’s co-op place said Clik treats for 16 weeks, Crovect for 8 but this is also for when they have been struck. So assume if all clear Clik would be the best option?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 09:26:06 pm »
I have used both Crovect and Clik. Clik has a long withdrawal but will protect the whole animal as it spreads throughout the fleece. It prevents the eggs turning into maggots and is really effective.

Crovect only lasts 6 weeks and only protects the fleece it’s applied to. It has a much shorter withdrawal.

I use Clik on everything now, just make sure you put it on lambs early in the season so they are out of withdrawal by the time they are ready to kill. The fact I only have to treat my ewes once a year is a huge bonus, rather than worrying that their 6 week Crovect is coming to an end. I’ve had lambs struck on the 6th week of Crovect cover.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 06:51:56 am »
If the sheep has little fleece and its clean there isn't usually a problem with fly strike, so their unusually fine for a few weeks after shearing. I like to use Crovect. Although its only active for 6 weeks it has a shorter withdrawal for meat, so much more suitable for lambs IMO. Clik has a withdrawal of 40 days and with lambs  that can affect when you can sell them, especially if they need treating more than once!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 12:38:13 pm »
BLOWFLY -  Crovect  only protects where it touches as it does not spread lasts for 6wks with 8 days withdrawal    Clikzin - spreads over body, lasts 8wks , 7 days withdrawal                                                                                   Clik -      spreads over body , lasts 16wks , 40 days withdrawal                                                                              Clik extra - spreads over body  ,lasts 19wks , 40 days withdrawal                                                                          All of the cliks  are insect growth regulators and will not stop  blowflys laying eggs which may hatch BUT then the maggots will be deformed and not grow into eating machines

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 08:39:28 pm »
These girlies are here for keeps, so the longer protection the better.
Thanks for the info about both products though. Clik definitely sounds the better product, but will bear in mind the withdrawal period. Planning lambs next year but, considering the breed, I haven’t yet figured out what to do with them!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS