Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crows  (Read 2523 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Crows
« on: October 13, 2010, 09:09:27 pm »
I know crows will be straight there and peck the eyes out of dead stock but tonight I  was a bit concerned to see some very close to my ewes. Close enough to be pecking at their noses as if taking off insects and standing on their backs.
Anything to worry about do you know ?
As usual thanks for your input in advance.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: Crows
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:55:28 pm »
could just be waiting for all the insects as the ewe goes through the grass disturbing them if the problem carry's on invest in a gun and shoot the dam things lol.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 08:27:20 pm »
The crows commonly sit on the backs of my ewes.  I think they are safe as long as alert but unless you are a crack shot and going to sit there all day not much can be done.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:39:54 am »
I have watched Jackdaws plucking wool from my Shetlands in nesting season, although I thought they just had twig nests (that was all that seemed to come out of our chimney anyway).
If the sheep are not worried then there is no problem.  If the crows are pecking at them then I would suspect fly strike and that they are eating the maggots.  I saw somewhere that a certain type of parrot in NZ goes straight for the kidneys of live sheep, through their backs, yeuch - but British crows don't  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS