Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a question for geologists regarding springs and water sources  (Read 1324 times)

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
I have discovered a source of water that is bubbling up on my land. There is no public water supply anywhere near - all neighbours have boreholes. I'm surprised to see it due to the drought conditions we've had last year and the lack of decent rainfall since last year. The water looks clean ie not muddy or discoloured.  The water to the house is also clear and not discoloured. Even in very wet years I haven't noticed this.
Now, I'm not a geolgist so I was wondering what's causing this escape of water. Could it be that the dry conditions have opened up a fissure? Should I be worried? - it seems such a waste!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: a question for geologists regarding springs and water sources
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 12:37:40 pm »
I'm not a geologist but we do have a similar spring on our land.  This only appears in very wet seasons.  The underlying soils at that point are a good, free draining one, which just where the spring pops up changes to a 'lentil' of glacial clay, which doesn't drain well at all. So it seems that water draining downhill from the free draining area, meets the less permeable clay, so runs over the top for a bit.
I think it won't be possible to suggest what may be causing your little spring without knowing the soil and underlying rock.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: a question for geologists regarding springs and water sources
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:16:30 pm »
On very old maps the area in question is marked as boggy with springs. More recently (20 plus years) a sitka plantation was established very close by. We've been here a good while but never seen this water before! There are areas that are always boggy but none have water coming to the surface like this is. I'll keep an eye on it but I don't know what to do with it going forward. It just seems a shame to waste it. I'll see if I can see where it goes - I'm just cautious about exploring it on my own!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS