Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Caught the bugger  (Read 7774 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Re: Caught the bugger
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 11:45:25 pm »
Got another one today. Same shed too.
I have investigated and i think there is a whole bloody family under the shipping container that the goats are kept in- modified of course- not locked in and plenty of ventilation etc...
In the same vane as one of the poultry threads i think they must be attracted to the spilled feed & strewn hay the goats present. I was going to invest in one of those outside hay feeders with the lid and the same with the feed. This should leave the goat shed a little less inviting. Also was thinking about replacing the straw bedding with those rubber cow mats and a sprinkling of wood shavings- less places for them to hide. The main problem is this business of being able to burrow under the container. I fear that the only solution here is a concrete slab with a built structure on top in conjunction with the outside feed set up. Any more suggestions. Am i over the top- my 3 young daughters help me clean out the goats every saturday and i am now worried about weils disease and the like- you know how kids are- rubbing their runny noses- sticking fingers in mouths etc..

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 01:09:28 am »
Hay feeders don't totally solve the problem - rats still burrow under them and live there (until the terriers dig them out).  I think they are a forever problem when you keep livestock.  All you can do is keep them to a minimum with best practice.
Weils disease could be a problem but usually more so where there's standing water.  If they do get sick be sure to mention that there are rats around to the medics.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 06:08:01 am »
I think the best trap is the "nipper" type it's the one like a giant mouse trap. I catch more in this type than the live trap. I set mine behind three or four roof tiles so nothing else get in them. They also catch mice. I find the best bait is a piece of bread crust tied on with a bit of Nutella chocolate spread. Happy hunting!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 09:42:15 am »
By the sounds of it, Declan, you need to borrow someone's terriers!  :D

Anybody who can tell me if rats can gnaw through those big plastic grit bins?

Eve  :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 11:40:54 am »
We used to keep our feed in a giant plastic dustbin.  One day, when the bin was nearly empty, we noticed a hole gnawed in the lid.  Inside was one dead rat and the half-eaten remains of several other rats.  Presumably they had chewed their way in, eaten the rest of the feed, then eachother, then the last one got thirsty and died.  Now we use metal bins and they definitely can't chew their way into those.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 11:59:59 am »
Don't forget if you see one rat it means there are at least 10 more there :D

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 08:47:29 pm »
can you bang it on the head with a priest (think thats the name) as you would do with a fish, legally? how about taking it to someone with a good jack russell to finish it off for you ?
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS