Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boreholes  (Read 1469 times)

edstrong

• Joined Jun 2015
Boreholes
« on: May 07, 2019, 03:17:46 pm »
Does anyone have any experience having a borehole installed? We're due to have one put in soon and I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I know what to expect. The borehole will be for the smallholding, up to 20 m3 per day as per the rules, it won't be (yet) for domestic use.

As I understand things, the pump will be down the hole and will have a mains electricity feed from the house. In the manhole cover will be a switching module that will somehow sense whether the (outdoor) taps are being used (presume through a drop in pressure) and this will activate the pump.

Is this a normal way of doing things? I hope so because it avoids the need for any equipment in the house.

Also, we're not planning to drink the water but wonder if it would be sensible/possible to install a UV filter in the same location as the well head/switching module.

Thanks!

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
Re: Boreholes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:23:43 pm »
Our borehole has the stainless steel pump unit submerged down the hole (approx 65m deep).  This is controlled from an electronic panel mounted in our garage. The electric feed goes from the panel, down to the pump. The water feed comes up from the pump to a pressure vessel, also mounted in the garage.   The pump pressurises the vessel up to about 3 bar, and then the controller shuts it off.  As usage drops the pressure to a set point, the controller causes the pump to kick in again (for about 20seconds).

The borehole is sleeved for the first 20 metres, then just through rock. We have a sediment filter in our feed pipe, but only because the "builder" made the mistake of cutting off the plastic sleeve flush with the ground, allowing surface water to leak into the borehole.

Hope this helps.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 07:20:07 am »
Vacuum can only lift water 30+eet so for any hole deeper you need a force pump at the bottom. It's not until the hole is sunk and the water quality measured that one can really decide on whether it needs treating to be potable and what actual flow rate you got.Our borehole has nice potable water naturally so no filters/UV etc needed except that if we let it run low (by pulling too much) then tiny fragments of sediment might get into the system and destroy the pressure vessel lining.
At the beginning I was suprised to discover that they are just a lenth of hole as opposed to a wider cavity down at the bottom.

edstrong

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 08:45:43 am »
Thanks for the feedback.

The company I'm looking at using say there will be a small control panel in the chamber where the bore head is, and the pump will be down the bore, but no mention of needing a pressure vessel. The say the panel will recognise when water is needed (when the standpipe taps are opened) and this will trigger the pump.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 06:13:34 pm »
Edstrong - who are you using please

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS