NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Maiden milker advise  (Read 170 times)

susanrich93

• Joined Apr 2014
Maiden milker advise
« on: May 06, 2019, 10:54:36 pm »
I am after some advice,  our girls are 18 mths old and one seems to have developed a udder. They are from high yealding milk lines, we did want to put them in kid some time so we had could milk them. However now looks like one is a maiden milker,  this is a bonus. I need advice as to weather i can start milking her. We dont need large amounts of milk but enough to make cheese would be great.
My questions are, can i milk her?
What equipment do i need?
Any other advice would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Voss Electric Fence

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Maiden milker advise
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:32:22 am »
Yes you can milk, and she should respond to the milking by increasing her production but be sure to balance her nutrition in with the milk you're taking off and don't over milk too soon or you could get milk fever.

I'll leave it to one of the milkers to give you "proper" advice on equipment etc.  Mine aren't milking goats although I have occasionally taken milk off when they produced more than their kids needed... As I don't have milking goats, I don't have "equipment". 

I tethered mine using a halter and lead rope to keep them still (if they fidgeted a lot I used a loop on the lead rope and tied up a back leg at the hock to hold them still against the wall).  I used an old yoghurt pot that had been thoroughly cleaned as a receptacle for the milk and milked into that by hand transferring it periodically to another container in case I dropped it or it got knocked out of my hand.  You'll also want wipes to clean the udder (or clean cloths to wash and dry her before you start) and you may want udder cream to put on afterwards to soothe her.  Some feed also helps to keep them happy whilst you're working.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

susanrich93

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:35:22 am »
Thank you this is helpful,

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 08:31:46 pm »
I always milked into a stainless steel bucket but a plastic one will do so long as it can be thoroughly cleaned; wipes or cloths (butter muslin works well) as SD has said; either purpose made filters or, as I did, a piece of butter muslin laid over a plastic sieve for straining any hairs or bits of straw, etc; containers to store the milk in. As my OH won't drink goats' milk, we had plastic milk bottles which I soaked by filling them with very hot water and a squirt of washing up liquid,( added afterwards or you end up with a bottle of foam) and left overnight. I found I could use the same bottle over and over again. A lot of equipment can be obtained from https://gnltd.co.uk/ and other places.

I chose not to pasteurise because (a) it destroys a lot of good bacteria as well as bad (b) if you are careful with cleaning the equipment you won't have problems anyway (c) it tastes better raw (d) it's a lot of faff that I didn't 'need' to do.

Of course, if you decide to start making cheese, you will need other equipment as well.

Maiden milker?!

Started by plumseverywhere

Replies: 11
Views: 6895
Last post April 26, 2011, 12:35:42 pm
by plumseverywhere
Maiden milker does it again!

Started by plumseverywhere

Replies: 7
Views: 1793
Last post May 09, 2013, 07:33:35 am
by plumseverywhere
Maiden Milker

Started by violetsprite

Replies: 11
Views: 3625
Last post August 14, 2013, 09:44:34 am
by plumseverywhere
Maiden Milker!!

Started by Aussie_Farm_Medic

Replies: 6
Views: 1562
Last post September 03, 2016, 12:42:52 pm
by Aussie_Farm_Medic
Maiden milker?

Started by Flump74

Replies: 3
Views: 589
Last post April 23, 2018, 02:26:23 am
by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS