Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant ewes scouring  (Read 1731 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Pregnant ewes scouring
« on: May 06, 2019, 09:17:27 am »
I have two ewes due to give birth this week, but both are scouring. They were wormed about 5 weeks ago. Obviously don't want to use crovect as they will be shorn as soon as practical after giving birth. Any suggestions please?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Pregnant ewes scouring
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 10:42:40 am »
If they are due this week I would just check regularly, spray with diluted Jeyes fluid round back end and along back.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 01:02:11 pm »
If your concern is flies and flystrike, which your comment about crovect implies, you could use one of the fly repellents.  I’ve used Naff Off before, others talk about Barrier Blowfly Repel etc.  If they’re very tame and placid you might dag them, but not if you think they would be stressed by it, or if they would need restraining in a way which might press on their bellies.

The red fly traps work really well too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 10:59:56 am »
If their a week off lambing why not just bring them in and feed dry hay, that should dry them up and you'll be able to keep an eye on them in case of flystrike.

I'm assuming their out and scouring because of grass

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 11:15:29 am »
If their a week off lambing why not just bring them in and feed dry hay, that should dry them up and you'll be able to keep an eye on them in case of flystrike.

I'm assuming their out and scouring because of grass

But if they’ve recently lambed, you want them on grass to make milk!  Grass makes milk, hay less so.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 05:31:55 pm »
[quote author=SallyintNorth link=topic=107286.msg720189#msg720189 date=1557224129

But if they’ve recently lambed, you want them on grass to make milk!  Grass makes milk, hay less so.

[/quote]
OP says their a week off lambing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 05:37:52 pm »
Clip them

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 10:39:03 am »
[quote author=SallyintNorth link=topic=107286.msg720189#msg720189 date=1557224129

OP says their a week off lambing
[/quote]

Doh.  I need to read more carefully. As you were.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS