Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Taking advantage of the wrmer weather  (Read 1201 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Taking advantage of the wrmer weather
« on: May 05, 2019, 04:15:57 pm »
It's warmed up a bit today ..heard our first cuckoo too
 So to make the most of it I've had a couple  of trays of early summer cauli and leeks  in the  glasshouse  desperate to be planted out ,  this afternoon was ideal as it's become Tee shirt weather at 16.00 hrs.

Managed a few other transplants too .

20 cauli ( most are destined for the freezer ) , 53 Musselburgh leeks, 23 globe beet root , six perennial kale cuttings , and three onion sets  of un known origin tht  I found the seed drawer .

Has anyone got their carrot seeds in yet ? Usually I do it the first time I hear the cuckoo but I'm going deaf so might be out by a few days  . :roflanim:
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Taking advantage of the wrmer weather
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 04:24:52 pm »
carrots, parsnips and peas a week ago... nowt showing yetalso did onion sets and onion seedlingsgot a tray of mixed brassicas to put outleeks are in modules this year so no rush100 sweetcorn starting to get cramped in their pots so as soon as weather stable they go out

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:36:24 pm »
We had minus 4C the night before last, plus sleet and hail showers, then a roasting plus 1 last night. The last few days have been sunny but with an icy wind from the N and E. 
We planted out the chitted potatoes today (soil is perfect), and will plant outside the broad beans, which are about 6" tall, in 4" pots in the tunnel at the moment.  I am desperate to get the tomatoes to the greenhouse as soon as possible - in spite of a cultivation light they are getting rather tall, and will be more so before they can be planted out, after June 1st. They need to be potted on into 6" pots asap.  Everything else is in pots or modules waiting to be planted out, except shallots, garlic and onions which are doing splendidly in the tunnel soil.  I sowed my runners and climbing french beans today, DFB tomorrow, in 4" pots so they will be ready to go out after the last frosts.  The only thing left to be sown I think is the Samphire!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:39:00 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 09:48:44 pm »
I was just sooo busy this spring I only managed to put some seeds in pots inside the polytunnel last week! Salads are sprouting but pumpkins cucumbers etc are obviously taking time
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS