Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What nuts to feed?  (Read 1904 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
What nuts to feed?
« on: May 02, 2019, 09:49:09 pm »
Picked up a couple of gilts last weekend. They’re around 13 weeks.

I got the same feed as they were on, which was Farmgate sow/weaner nuts, but am
I right in thinking they should actually be on finisher nuts?

Thanks.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: What nuts to feed?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 02:18:26 am »
I use sow/ weaner nuts throughout

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 08:54:52 am »
What breed are they?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 09:14:20 am »
I would use sow/weaner throughout, its all that most mid-size feed places will have in stock anyway?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 05:03:13 pm »
i used to use separate finisher and sow food, went to all sow instead

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 08:35:56 pm »
They’re GOS x Pietrain.

So is there not much difference between the types? A friend of mine uses them but she had a breeding sow. However when I asked about pig nuts in the co-op they didn’t give me a choice so maybe you’re right bj.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 01:01:22 pm »
They’re GOS x Pietrain.

So is there not much difference between the types? A friend of mine uses them but she had a breeding sow. However when I asked about pig nuts in the co-op they didn’t give me a choice so maybe you’re right bj.

Its not so much about a lack of difference (there have differing protein levels for growth), but that with traditional pigs it's less of an issue

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 08:17:28 pm »
When I had my saddlebacks the piglets scoffed her sow nuts til they departed. Now I buy weaners in at 8 week old and take them to 5.5 months if boars or just over 6 if gilts. I prefer boars as they are calmer, though the ones I got last year were little buggers! Anyhow, I buy pietrain x saddleback, get a bag of corn with them to help them settle and then feed wynnstay superwean (if they need it) hypergrow and then the last month is hyperlean. I've never had a problem with this corn.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS