Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Total Noob!!!  (Read 1147 times)

betty02

• Joined Apr 2019
Total Noob!!!
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:25:11 am »
Well hello,

MY name is Simon, 29, originally from Blackpool, then moved to London and then settled in Leeds a few years back! After many years of looking and dreaming I think it's time to start putting things in action! Me and my partner talk of owning a little smallholding. Nothing crazy, doesn't have to make me thousands or anything like that.

We literally love the outdoors, the green and farm animals.

Our plan would ideally be to buy a little disused plot of land, few acre if we could afford it, start from the bottom and see how we get on. Really like the look of the Herefordshire Mini Cattle which would be something we would be interested in. Bees as well, we all love bees!!

We don't want loads of animals, just a few that can all live together. We live in Leeds now and want to stay around the area, we'd like to take in some animals that are pretty useless to the average farmer and just enjoy tending to animals and being out in the green.

Ideally a nice little static for a weekend stay over if we want would be nice but isn't key, although I work in IT i see myself as quite handy so knocking things up etc would be fun! We want to do as much as we can.

Eventually in says 15-20 years would be nice to build a little bungalow on our land, but again that's more of an end goal then it is anything else!

So that's me, and that's why I am here, research, research and a bit more research!

Do have potential of a bit of land coming up locally but I will create another thread on that!

Just wanted to say Hi!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Total Noob!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 10:44:11 pm »
HI Simon and welcome to TAS  :wave: . Good luck with your search for a few acres. I hope you were joking about making money. It's more likely to cost you money.

When you say a nice little static for staying over, were you planning on visiting daily/twice day? I suppose it depends on how far away the land it. Having a potential bit of land is a good start. When will you know for sure?

Exciting times. :excited:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:08:43 pm »
Hello Simon and welcome to TAS, the place to help you turn your dreams into realistic ideas.   First stage as you know is research.  Have you looked into WOOFS and HelpX?  These are both schemes where you get experience of working on the land for a weekend say, and some of the possibilities out there.  That could help you move on from the dreaming stage to practicalities and knowledge.  Good luck with your adventures.   :garden: :farmer:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:11:53 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 07:46:08 pm »
Hello Simon.  Welcome to the forum.  I would say your outlined approach is refreshingly realistic and measured - the very best of luck.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 07:33:23 am »
Welcome to TAS! :wave:

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 12:32:19 pm »
welcome  from another west Yorkshire smallholder

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS