Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wether with cracked inner hooves  (Read 1480 times)

FrancesV

• Joined Feb 2016
Wether with cracked inner hooves
« on: April 29, 2019, 04:33:28 pm »
Hi,

Can anyone give advice for cracked inner hooves? My wether is not fully weight bearing on his front right and his outer claw on this hoof hurts if I squeeze it where the crack is. The same reaction ( wincing) comes from me doing the same with his back left outer claw.

Can cracked hooves be healed, if so how?

Thank ewe in advance. ( I have attached photos of both hooves.)

Francesv

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Wether with cracked inner hooves
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 08:10:50 pm »
Looks like it could be a bit of foot rot ? Have you got any blue spray. It wouldn’t hurt to spray all 4 feet, let them dry quick and spray again, let them dry again.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 06:08:35 am »
That looks like quite a nice foot so I'm surprised he's lame on it?

Do you have white line disease in your flock? The only thing I can think of is that an infection has tracked up the crack? You could give it a spray, but I would probably leave it and see how it develops, sometimes a cavity forms and earth packs in and causes lameness. I see a fair bit of that in dry conditions.

FrancesV

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 12:11:38 pm »
Thanks for your help.
Yes I have blue spray, will try double spray method. Does it sometimes take several rounds? There is no sign of any infection outwardly pus, smell etc.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 03:16:03 pm »
I try and spray again a couple of days later after the initial treatment. If still lame after that I’d probably give alamycin and metacam.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS