Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Warning Fly Strike!  (Read 1449 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Warning Fly Strike!
« on: April 27, 2019, 10:36:53 am »
Just to say that we have just treated our third ewe in a week for fly strike in her rear end and around her bag. I had noticed green bottles on the sheep in the heatwave and we have been keeping a close eye on them anyway as they all had difficult lambings but even so this third one took us by surprise. Just be aware of it as a possibility despite the time of year if one of your sheep looks off colour. We spoke to our shearer last week to try to get him over sooner and he was saying he is having an issue with it too. I don’t know if it is just in the Peak District or countrywide. It’s horrible.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: Warning Fly Strike!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:25:04 pm »
I think as a brand new keeper this is the thing I fear the most, along with foot rot (although I’m sure there are other equally bad things to watch out for).
Hope you’re sheep make a speedy recovery.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 05:17:34 pm »
The best approach, in my view anyway, is that prevention is better than having to deal with those horrible munching maggots.  It's more the weather - hot and humid - than the month which tells you the flies are waiting to pounce.  We use Crovect, but every shepherd has their favourite.  If they need to be sprayed before they are shorn because there are maggots, then we would discard the fleece.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 07:26:56 pm »
Yes Fleecewife totally agree and we are into our 3rd year of having the sheep and used Clik the last 2 summers so had no problems. But they haven’t been sheared yet this year and all the advice is don’t Clik before shearing and tbh we had no idea that you can get Fly Strike in April! Hence my ‘warning’ in case other less experienced sheep keepers like us are also under the impression that Fly Strike is a summer problem. We have cut away completely the back end wool of the rest of the flock today. I knew coloured Ryelands had a lot of wool but didn’t realise quite how much there is! We are investing in some electric clippers for next year for dagging and crutching.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 02:42:04 pm »
We had a ewe with the beginnings of flystrike yesterday too. Caught it early luckily, and have got the shearer coming on Friday.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 01:10:54 am »
Thanks for the warning, warm weather coming so I will keep a closer eye on them.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 08:57:43 pm »
Fly strike in April, I keep looking at my wooly lumps but so far ok. My darlings have been known to have fly strike in October when it's particularly mild around here! The worst cases are those who sweat but don't release the fleece so look perfect. I've had it twice, and both looked fine and it was only when really badly infested do they decide to start rubbing! But then the damage is done and the maggots are crawling under the skin. Saline solution comes in very handy!! It puts me off sheep!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS