Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is my ewe in lamb  (Read 993 times)

Doddie82

• Joined Sep 2018
Is my ewe in lamb
« on: April 26, 2019, 09:03:45 pm »
Hello
We have taken on 4 Hebridean (these are our first sheep)we were told that they were not in lamb but one of them has a slightly large mid section. She also has slightly bigger nipples and she has bagged up slightly also (tennis ball size)

Thank you for your help

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Is my ewe in lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 09:46:30 pm »
It's possible. How old are they? Why was the seller confident they were not in lamb? When did you get them?

Doddie82

• Joined Sep 2018
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:19:01 pm »
They are 2 years old, unsure why he was sure they were not pregnant?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 10:26:07 am »

I recently bought a tup from someone who was also selling geld ewes that had not run with the tups. They had plenty of well fenced paddocks and could be fairly certain the ewes had not been tupped. However, mistakes happen. Sheep jump. Tup lambs catch people out.

If she is in lamb then be prepared for the others to be too!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 10:46:50 am »
I would ask someone experienced to take a look. Maybe you could post a picture of the udder on here?

Some ewes (particularly older ewes) that have lambed before can still have an udder when their dry (not in milk) and not in lamb. Their bellies can also look like their in lamb when its just their bellies dropping because of stretched muscles from when they were in lamb.

If the person who you brought them from was fairly certain they weren't I wouldn't be quick to dismiss that. Although as mentioned before (and experienced by myself), ewes can catch you out and ewes you would of sworn were well away from the ram have a totally unexpected 'miracle lamb'!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 03:10:02 pm »
She could have bagged up because she now has spring grass? But as a 2 year old, she  has presumably not bred before so unlikely to be a carry over from last year's lambing. It's highly likely she is pregnant if her nipples and udder are noticeably bigger than the rest. I wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye on her. If you have sufficient grass she won't need any additional feed as spring grass is highly nutritious. If you can see her udder now, you will definitely notice when it fills up even more as lambing is imminent.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Doddie82

• Joined Sep 2018
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 03:38:15 pm »
Thank you for all your replies
Tried uploading photo but file size to big. Will try again later

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS