Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick pig  (Read 4658 times)

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
sick pig
« on: October 12, 2010, 07:47:50 pm »
My 6 month old pig due to be slaughtered next weekend is off her food. She did get out of her pen and into the veg plot which contains cabbages, brussels, beetroot, runnerbeans, sweede, squash, courgette, dying back potatoes corriander and did contain sweetcorn but she finished that off and we were feeding the pigs the sweetcorn stalks anyway.  she's also been having a small amount of windfall bramleys and acorns each day along with pellets. She didn't eat yesterday morning but did in the evening then again today she was off her food but not so ill as to not get up. I'm presuming she's eaten all the pies and has tummy ache. Does anyone know if any of the veg in my plot is dangerous for her. My sows would never cross the electric fence line even if its off or even not there at all but this one has tested the fences every week of her life and likes nothing better that a jog around the fields to cause havoc!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: sick pig
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:04:47 pm »
how much potato foliage did she eat?  that would be my biggent concern.

but yes, it sounds like shes over-eaten just abit!  and if shes on her feet, thats a good sign... :)
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:26:10 am »
Years ago one of our pigs got into the feed store and consumed about 40 kilos of pig food, then made the mistake of having a long, long drink.  He hardly moved for 2 days despite Hilary's constant demands for sex.  She was livid.  Anyway after a couple of days he was back to normal, although I dont think Hilary ever forgave him.  If there was loads of other feed available she may well not have bothered with potato holms (sorry sp)  but maize is very filling and may take its time to work through. 

How is she today?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 01:47:19 pm »
 :D I would love to meet Hilary, I sounds like a great character!  :D

But yes, Elissian, I would imagine your piggy just ate a bit too much. Keep the potato haulms out of the way (and any tomato plants if you have any somewhere), but the rest is all fine.

Eve  :wave:

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:34:26 pm »
thanks for your replies, she did get up for a short while today after a little persuasion. The potatoes have died back to very little so i don't think she would have been interested in those. She had eaten about 8 maise plants so that may well be the cause.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 12:13:25 am »
Maize can be difficult for pigs to digest, so you might be right. Any other signs of illness or changes in behaviour? Is she drinking ok?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 03:55:33 pm »
:D I would love to meet Hilary, I sounds like a great character!  :D

Any time you are travelling through Brittany ......   :D   :pig:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 07:56:37 pm »
 :D Sounds to me you could write "Hilary's Memoirs" and it'd be a bestseller!  :D
:pig: :love: :pig:

Eve  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:26:55 pm »
Sounds wonderful but might take some serious editing to be believed . ..

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 07:59:49 pm »
Just to let you all know, my pig did recover a couple of days before our slaughterman came. She went out on a feast of acorns.
thanks for all the advice, the veg plot will be better fenced in future!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:55:57 am »
It'll need to be a very strong fence  :D
So did you have a home kill? How was it?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 09:27:01 am »
Glad all went well. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS