Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boisterous wether, what to do?  (Read 1193 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Boisterous wether, what to do?
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:42:53 pm »
I only have 5 ewes now, a lovely gentle ram and a wether, bottle fed from last year and kept to keep Ram company save him being on his own. I took the boys out Pre lambing, just to make it easier, and now I have a couple lambed thought I’d put them out together, but he’s being a real PITA! Chasing the ewes and lambs, head butting, splitting them from the ewes causing chaos! So I’ve taken him out again, is he just excited showing off or am I right that he can cause damage? Not sure what to do? Help please?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Boisterous wether, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 04:39:42 pm »
Can you not spate the two again until the lambs are a bit stronger and then try again , I don't think he would harm any lambs deliberately just accidentally

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 06:06:52 pm »
Yes I have for now,  but hoping to get them all together ASAP?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 05:35:11 pm »
Its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question. It might be that he'd get bored and settle down quickly if you try again, or he might not and injure one of the ewes or lambs? Its clearly excitement, I think you just have to use your best judgement I'm afraid.

Maybe keep him in a field with poor grass and when back in with the ewes he'll be more interested in the good grass than them?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 06:35:43 pm »
Can you keep them next door to each other so he can get used to them through the fence for a while first? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 10:46:23 pm »
So I left him on his own, but next door to the others overnight, to reflect on his naughtyness  ;D  put him back at feed time, he chased around for a while then settled, fingers crossed he behaves now, the ram also gave him a thump, maybe that sorted it! Thank you all for your advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS