Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Taken the plunge in Swansea  (Read 1666 times)

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
Taken the plunge in Swansea
« on: April 25, 2019, 02:42:14 pm »
I just thought I'd say hi. I have been reading the forum for a little while now and have found some useful info so thanks for that.

My wife and I have completed on a 40 acre farm in Swansea, which is a mixture of pasture, woodland and hopefully soon some areas for an orchard and veg growing. We are both new to farming so I'm going to say thank you in advance for anyone taking the time to answer what will probably be stupid questions.

We have the keys and will hopefully be moving end of may/beginning of June and until then we'll be tied up finishing our current house for sale so won't get much time to do more than a little maintenance. We're using the time to make some plans which I wouldn't mind some opinions on if I upload some sketches?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning a lot in a very short space of time.

Thanks

Kiran

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: Taken the plunge in Swansea
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 03:48:20 pm »
Well done. I and probably everyone else wish you luck on your holding :)
 :farmer:

What cant you do with 40 acres :eyelashes: :excited:

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 04:20:26 pm »
Hi and welcome :wave: :wave:

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 06:13:13 pm »
Welcome. There are a lot of smallholders not too far away from you particularly here in Carmarthenshire.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:01:04 pm »
I've noticed a few people from around this way. It's always nice to see. Hopefully there'll be some local recommendations.

Looking forward to getting started ????

Zyg

• Joined Nov 2018
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:26:32 pm »
Another welcome from Carmarthenshire  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 03:06:04 am »
Hi  :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. Sounds like quite an adventure you are embarking on. Ask your questions (and the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask); someone on here is bound to know the answer or, at the very least, where to go for answers.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:13:00 am »
hello Kiran  :wave: welcome to Swansea; I'm very close, in Gower

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 09:09:16 am »
Hi Perris, I think I'm technically just on the edge of the Gower, I'm in Three Crosses. Been in Swansea for almost 20 years but this will be my first time living out of town in Swansea and first time living on a small holding.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 01:07:55 pm »
Welcome, and looking forward to hearing about your plans and answering questions.  We can only ever do it all for the first time once ourselves, so it’s lovely to go through it over and over again with new people :).
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 09:09:51 am »
Hi Perris, I think I'm technically just on the edge of the Gower, I'm in Three Crosses. Been in Swansea for almost 20 years but this will be my first time living out of town in Swansea and first time living on a small holding.
yes indeed very close - welcome to the best bit of Swansea! I pass through regularly en route to the excellent farm store at the bottom of the hill in Gowerton, or to Trostre for what used to be called high street stores but all of which seem to live in retail parks these days!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS