Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much ewes milk?  (Read 1312 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
How much ewes milk?
« on: April 25, 2019, 11:43:15 am »
Hi all, my ryeland lamb born yesterday after a difficult birth is still continuing to do well. I watched her feed once from ewe but not sure if she got anything. I managed to get 200ml off ewe today, lamb will suck bottle but then seems to tire, so I have tubed it. She's still a bit weak, so was thinking of continuing this for as long as needed. My question is, when using the ewes own milk, how much do you give? My only knowledge comes from humans, and I know the intake of formula is a good deal higher than breast milk. Don't want to overfeed, and also want to to still seek out mum.

Thanks
Charlotte

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: How much ewes milk?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:15:39 pm »
Rule of thumb 200ml colostrum per kg of lamb weight  in the first 24hrs , less if you are just topping up after suckling ,so keep going until you feel she is strong enough

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:28:52 pm »
It’s little and often for newborns.  200ml is too much for one feed, you will overflow the abomasum into the other stomachs and cause digestive upset.  Absolutely no more than 150ml per feed for the first 24 hours, and I would usually only give 50-100ml per feed.  Less if I think it’s getting some from mum, better to give a little less than it would like than risk overfilling it.  Feeds every four hours for the first 48 hours, can go down to every 6 hours after that, and can leave 8 hours overnight from about day 4 or 5.

But it’s a gazillion times better for the lamb to feed from mum, and second best to milk mum and bottle or tube the lamb.

If tubing a lamb which may be feeding from mum as well, use a gravity feed, feed a little at a time, and stop if the flow slows; the stomach is probably full.   Never ever push, you really don’t want the stomach to overflow.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 01:13:06 pm »
Thank you. I should clarify that I didn't give the 200ml in one go, but in 2 separate feeds. Worded that badly.

Fingers crossed she starts taking more from mum soon. Her tongue was so swollen at birth I'm amazed she has any suck at all.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:33:54 pm »
Rule of thumb is 50ml per kg  of colostrum for first feed if you have to tube

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS