Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Joint ill in lamb....prognosis?  (Read 1288 times)

Alisongunn

• Joined Apr 2019
Joint ill in lamb....prognosis?
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:55:02 pm »
I have a 3 week old Texel cross lamb who has developed joint ill in her elbow. She’s unable to put any weight on that leg, but is lively and feeding well.
The vet has prescribed 11 days of penicillin injections (today is day 5), but I’ve seen no improvement so far with the leg.
How likely is she to make a recovery? And if she survives, but remains very lame - how well do sheep manage with only three sound legs?
She’d just be a pet/lawnmower.
Any advice very welcome.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Joint ill in lamb....prognosis?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 03:38:36 pm »
I had one that took over a week before it showed any improvement.  The lamb went sound but had an enlarged knee and I sent her off fat before arthritis made her life uncomfortable.

Alisongunn

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 03:40:34 pm »
Oh, that's encouraging to hear!  I was worried that it was starting to look like a hopeless case.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 06:20:27 pm »
No, keep going :)  I had one who got it at about 6 months old, took a week of injections but she came good.  She had a flare-up almost exactly a year later as a gimmer, but no repeats after that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS