Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving to new land  (Read 1677 times)

Charlotte Wheatley

• Joined Jan 2018
Moving to new land
« on: April 16, 2019, 03:48:02 pm »
Hi there. We may be moving house soon  :excited: and the land we're moving to has sheep on it. How long do you think we need to leave it to make sure it's clear of most diseases and parasites, for our sheep? Thanks for your help!

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: Moving to new land
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 08:49:56 pm »
Our vets were warning last summer that nematodirus could be dormant on the ground for up to two years if there were no extremes of temperature to kill them off.  Roundworms need cold to prevent them from developing from eggs to larvae and then heat to kill off the larvae, we've not really had a huge amount of either. 

Do you know anyone with cows or horses who could stick them onto the land between the current sheep moving off and yours moving on?  The sheep worm larvae can't survive passing through a cow or horse digestive system and horse/cow worm larvae can't survive sheep digestive systems, so grazing it with something other than sheep for two or three weeks would probably help.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 11:41:41 am »
I agree with the above post, there is no point waiting a few weeks for the pasture to 'cleanse' and then put your sheep on. Best thing is to cross graze with horses/cattle but even then there is no guarantee something won't be left behind :/ 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 12:13:41 pm »
I would cut for hay rather than graze with cattle simply due to TB risk.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 01:09:35 pm »

No TB in Scotland, and almost none in the far north of England, so good advice for those of us in the south or Wales, but may not be necessary for anyone a lot further north. 

Ponies graze closer than sheep, so if poss, get some native ponies on and keep them on until it’s good and short.  If it’s a small area, you may need to pick up their poo and rot it down for the garden, or spread it back on the land once they’re gone.  (I pick any field up to 5-6 acres with two Fell ponies on it.  They make approx 33 heaps a day between them :). If I didn’t pick up, there’d soon be no clear grass for them to eat!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 02:58:35 pm »
or Johne's....

Charlotte Wheatley

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 09:33:31 am »
Thank you all for your replies, that's great. If it all goes ahead I shall make enquiries around the village, and I'll check the local worm forecast! I think cutting for hay would be logistically easier - we probably won't need much but someone is bound to be glad of it. Cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS