Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What can you grow in shade?  (Read 2150 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
What can you grow in shade?
« on: April 16, 2019, 02:20:58 pm »
I have a fairly large area, where the goats used to live until last year - it's is quite heavily shaded for most of the day by massive sycamore trees.
I put a 4mx2m chicken run in there but there is sooooo much space which is otherwise unitilised.
I wonder what edible crops can you grow there?
I was thinking of digging a part and putting some potatoes to try.
I read a lot of green veg can grow in shade - spinach? Chard?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What can you grow in shade?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 05:06:05 pm »
Dry shade or wet?
Lettuce and probably salad leaves, and mint certainly, as long as they are kept watered.  Not sure what else.  Maybe root crops like beetroot.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:56:57 pm »
I'd say it's quite dry but it's not a problem I can water them quite well. Obviously in hot summer it will dryca bit less as it's more shady
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 06:24:31 pm »
My dad says that nothing useful will grow under sycamores. He worked on a university study that tried to find something that did but couldn't. Let me know if you prove him wrong!
William

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 06:26:29 pm »
I have some wild garlic over there so far

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 07:59:07 pm »
If it’s heavy shade most edibles will struggle and if they do survive be more prone to pests and disease.
I believe leaf crops cope better than root, fruit or flower crops so salad, kale, spinach and chard.
Another thing you could try is growing things that do a lot of their growth before the trees leaf up - so early onions- planted in autumn crop in June here (Norfolk). Leaves could be a problem though.  ???

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 09:08:49 pm »
I'll try perpetual spinach and some other herby greens and perhaps will plant garlic in the autumn. Atm it is quite airy but the big trees have few leaves

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 08:11:54 am »
I’m getting big into mint at the moment. Always thought of it as a bit of a flavouring but recently discovered Durham salad, uses a lot of mint. I also put heaps of it and coriander in lentil Dahl.
Ivy grows well under our sycamores.
They are all coming down soon, don’t look too healthy and want to give the oaks and Scots pines space.
Let us know what you do find out or try :-)
Raspberry canes sometimes do well in dappled shade, permaculture/forest garden people would know?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:37:04 am »
Yes this area was full of ivy and brambles and in spring cow parsley but the goats got rid of everything (that's what get really obese on).
I planted a small Persian mint plant last year, September or October? This spring it spread 2 metres across through the roots. That what I wanted! I got it from an Iranian guy on Freecycle several years ago, gave some roots to friends, moved houses and forgot about it. Last year o got a cutting back from that friend.
That Iranian guy I originally got this variety from had his whole back garden and front garden lawncgrowing in it! Very aggressively growing plant. But what better weed can you have than lovely smelling mint??? I also have apple mint which isn't verycstrobg tasting but has a hint of apple. It isn't a strong grower either. Plus pepper mint grown from seed.
Also I've grown lemon balm which is from the same family - not sure what to do with it except put in tea - smells like lemon fairy liquid lol
Raspberries and current are good to plant in a shade but they will have to wait till the autumn.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 10:40:46 pm »
Apparently, lemon balm is good with fish.

My gardener was supposed to cut back all the dead stalks of lemon balm but forgot and I kept forgetting to remind him. Now it has all the new growth round it so it will stay. Last week I looked out to see a gold finch busily stripping the seeds from to dead stalks. It's never going to be cut down again.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 09:48:02 pm »
25 Vegetables You Can Grow In Shade | Empress of Dirt
https://empressofdirt.net/shade-vegetables

Hope you can find something in there

Dave
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS