Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to castrate Ryeland boy lambs  (Read 1522 times)

Donska

• Joined Apr 2019
When to castrate Ryeland boy lambs
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:05:50 pm »
I’ve got a small flock of 8 pet sheep - 5 ewes 3 wethers all of whom are ex orphans from a friend who produces commercially so they’re Suffolk/texel/mule x  I want to add a couple more docile sheep and have seen some lovely Ryeland lambs.  Their owner says she’s going to castrate them at 10 weeks - might this be too late?  I really want v docile sheep and our wethers who were castrated on day 2 can be a bit bumptious at times.  Any thoughts?  Thanks, Donna

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: When to castrate Ryeland boy lambs
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 11:31:20 am »
That should be ok. Just any later than 12 weeks and it has to be done surgically. I did my texel and suffolk bottle lambs at 2 weeks and they are quite docile so far. The best age though is as you say, between 1 and 7 days.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:03:51 pm »
As long as it’s not by rubber band- this has to be done within the first week of life

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 12:25:27 pm »
I don't really castrate anymore, but when I did it was with a rubber band and always within 48hrs of birth, I understand legally it has to be within a week of birth. My neighbours recently had 2 yearling (pet) rams surgically castrated by a vet.

What method of non-surgical castration could you do at 10-12 weeks?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:55:43 pm »
Burdizzo is non surgical and can be used under 3months by a skilled person .     The age of castration has little to do with docility  , it is the way they are treated , if they consider you part of their flock , then they must establish a pecking order  and pet lambs consider people nothing to fear or respect so try to too push the boundrys

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 01:05:47 pm »
Yes that's how I did mine. Or rather someone else did it for me

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS