Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limping sheep - new keeper!  (Read 3586 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Limping sheep - new keeper!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 12:25:40 pm »
Agree with Sally , vets have to see some sheep in every 12month, to dispense AB ,  WORMERS ETC for me I normally have some kind of callout once per year which keeps it good

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 01:54:36 pm »
Agree with Sally , vets have to see some sheep in every 12month, to dispense AB ,  WORMERS ETC for me I normally have some kind of callout once per year which keeps it good

We have a call out at least once a month  :roflanim: 

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 11:21:02 am »
You don't need a vet's visit to get wormers.
Why would you pay for a call out when nothing's wrong, just so you can self diagnose and collect antibiotics when there is a problem? The time you want a vet to visit is when your animal is actually ill, so you know you're getting the right diagnosis and treatment. Pointless paying for a visit "just in case"! I have never had anything wrong with my Welsh Badger Faces in 10+ years of keeping them. (Apart from the odd limp). So if I'd paid a vet to call in regularly on the off chance, I'd have spent a fortune by now, to no avail.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 12:25:53 pm »
While you are right for you , a vet is not supposed to dispense without seeing the sheep once per year  and for me I just phone up and they will let me have AB'S  at any time , and though I do not buy wormers or pour on's through my vet , too expensive  , I would hope they would not sell it without discussion    /advice based on your situation which they are familiar with

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 06:34:35 pm »
Thanks all!

This limping thing seems to come and go with them. They’re pretty flighty so as suggested they’re no doubt pulling something and then recovering.

I had a breakout today. They walked through the electric fence post/stock fence set up I’d put up and ended up under our (obligatory) mobile home! Luckily this is all within a proper fenced area but some managed to get themselves between two fences and couldn’t remember the way back  ::) We are definitely getting lots of experience on how to act like sheep dogs and herd them where we want them!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS