Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: External parasite & copper treatments  (Read 1441 times)

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
External parasite & copper treatments
« on: April 10, 2019, 07:08:35 pm »
Hiya  :wave:

What treatments for external parasites do people use? Last year they had a couple of shots of Bimectin and the vet sprayed them with something (he never told me what it was) but am wondering if there are other options?
Also do people use loose minerals/blocks/bolus's to give them their copper intake
Thanks in advance

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: External parasite & copper treatments
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:53:11 pm »
I rarely used anything for external parasites because, being zero grazed, my girls didn't have much bother with any although one bad year I used the dogs' Spot-on treatment. As far as copper is concerned, I used Caprivite for all their minerals and gave them a mineral lick as well which they hardly touched. I had tried other minerals but found Caprivite to be the best.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:48:25 am »
It depends which parasites they've got and what sort of goats they are.
I've use crovect and frontline on the angoras when they had lice,  eprinex when they had mites.I haven't had to use any thing on the dairy goats as the haven't had any problem that needed them and I'd rather not drink milk from a treated animal.As nothing is licensed for goats you need to go through you vets anyway.They need to tell you whats been used so you can record it in your medicine book.  Was it not on the bill with the batch number and withdrawal info.
I used seaweed meal in their feed and red rockies which they love.  They've all done much better since atarting the seaweed meal.

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:54:15 am »
I'm in rural Ireland and a lot of the practices are still very olde worlde. In this particular practice there are no detailed receipts, they only take cash (for which you get a receipt), nothing is computerised, it's all very rough paper records and when I asked what was being used the conversation was flowing so I never got an answer and then forgot. When I called the surgery I was told the vet would give me a call which never happened. It's all recorded in my book along with the name of the vet etc so if I'm checked they can refer back to the vet. I don't use that vet anymore and the one I use now has stepped into modern technology a little. Also over here I can buy lots of things over the counter without being questioned as I have a herd number so am registered.
These goats are pets and have a fair area to free range and we're in tick season big time and I have seen a couple of ticks which I've removed with a tick remover. I have two saanens, a nubian and an alpine.
I'll get some Caprivite and speak to my new (lovely) vet about treatment.
Thanks

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 10:59:58 am »
Not sure what's effective against ticks, thankfully not a problem here.If your milking remember to check withdrawal times.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS