Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs jags ??  (Read 3493 times)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
Pigs jags ??
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:20:09 pm »
This may be a silly question but !  do pigs need to have tetnis jags ? and do they need to have any other sort of jags ?
The reason being is that i thought one of our piggys was having a fit today he was standing shaking and grunting as if he couldnt walk.
It did give me a fright and I thought holly Sxxx whats wrong with him .
It was a great releaf when i seen the lakeland terrier hanging from his tale that was causing the problem !!! 
The wee dog got a good spanking and told they were not ready to eat yet but the piggy has a some grazed skin on his tale.
I cleaned it and put soem purple spray on it do you think he will be ok ????
I am a bit worried as the piggy have been so much fun and they are having a whale of a time just the wee naughty dog anoying them.

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs jags ??
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:45:14 pm »
lol ! The dog won't get away with that for much longer  ;) ;D
On the subject of jags - if you're only raising a few weaners for the freezer, providing they were wormed when you got them and keep good health, then you shouldn't need to jag them for anything. If you're keeping them longer, or planning breeding with them then they'll need worming (which can be done orally or with a jag) and possibly ery vaccine - but everyone's different as to whether they do or don't vaccinate for that (I do, but only cos I'd hate to lose a breeding sow)
HTH
Karen

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 02:23:27 am »
My Berkshire has just had her 1st litter (5 piglets - GOS/Berks X) on 31.12.2010.  We intend to keep these for meat.
I have 3 Berkshire sows now, 2 GOS gilts and a GOS Boar.
Obviously I am new to all this but doing quite well so far.  Worming sorted but:

My question is can anyone give me a definitive answer to what jags/medication they need on a regular basis to ensure health and happiness in them. 

New to piglets do they need jags? and when? what about the new mum ?

I have been trying to find these things out but there is so much info out there that differs so much.
Please help.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 08:38:42 am »
Personally the only regular injections mine get is the wormer every six months.  I dont give the piglets iron injections as they have access to outside from day 1.  A good and varied diet helps to keep them healthy.   I think in Uk it is more usual to inject against eryciphilus  (sorry spelling).  Best to ask your vet. 

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 10:09:53 am »
It is definitely worth talking to your vet.  The eri jabs are more important in some areas than others.  I've taken the decision not to vaccinate here.

I worm 2 -3 weeks before farrowing and every six months.  Piglets are wormed at weaning and then every 6 months.  My boar is wormed every 6 months.

Other than that I don't inject or give medication at regular intervals, just of course if needed for anything.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 06:28:01 pm »
My question is can anyone give me a definitive answer to what jags/medication they need on a regular basis to ensure health and happiness in them. 

There is NO definitive list.  The pig site lists 140 of the more common illnesses you pig could get (by no means all have vaccines), and if you inoculated against all that you could do, you would be broke and your pig look like a pin cushion.
Vaccines work by giving the animal (pig, human, elephant!) an inert version of the virus.  The animal then is able to develop anti-bodies to defeat this, and has time to do this as the virus is non active.  When it then sees the real version it then knows how to defeat it before the virus takes hold.
Vaccines are not 100%, as the animal may have a poor immune response, or a slightly different strain of the virus may not be recognised (hence for humans annual flu jab that varies, from memory this years has three strains in it).
If your pigs don’t have a disease, then they can only get it from
  • Pigs brought in – if you run a “closed herd”, then you eliminate this risk, or else have an isolation unit and use it – this reduces the risk.
    Feed - Commercial feed will be disease free if reputable, but you should consider animals on farms if buying ingredients to mix, very low risk, but should be in your equation.
    Bedding – Straw and hay can carry disease and certainly lice & mites if stored near diseased animals on farm of source
    Wellies – of people buying weaners, bringing mud from their farm.
    Transport – all the vehicles that deliver the above !
    Airbourne – a potential risk, but should be low, unless you live immediately next door to another pig unit.
    You ! – Certain diseases are transmissible to pigs, but these are rare, just don;t sneeze on your pigs – carry a tissue !
Given that list If you have a closed herd (don't keep buying in new stock), practice reasonable bio-security (eg don't let people buying your weaners come in muddy wellies from their farm), and don't live immediately next to another pig farm, then it is unlikely that you will get a disease.
Yes, do talk to your vet, but remember many frankly know little about pigs, and those that do tend to be used to commercial herds where vaccination against say EP is common. They also tend to err on the side of caution, as if your pigs get Erysipelas  after the vet said don’t bother vaccinating, you would not be best pleased.
So long answer, but we worm regularly adults every 6 months, and weaners on weaning, but otherwise do no regular vaccination.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 07:41:34 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the help and information.
All 5 piglets doing well - mum looks great.  Piglets are the colour of dalmation puppies - lovely.

The other Berkshire due in a couple of days.

Thank you again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS