Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small scale oral wormer  (Read 2544 times)

Onemore

• Joined Jun 2018
Small scale oral wormer
« on: April 08, 2019, 09:15:41 am »
I'm looking for a small amount of wormer that I can add to my pigs' feed.  I breed only a few pet kunekunes, and anything I've found so far seems to come in containers of >600g, which is waaaay too much for me to use by the time it spoils.  My only other option seems to be the stuff for injecting, which I've used before, but I'd rather not use again.

Anyone using a product that would be suitable for my needs?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Small scale oral wormer
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:59:07 pm »
Ask your vet … they will often dispense small amounts.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:41:25 pm »
I use VermX pellets for worming cattle and sheep. Now, the sheep pellets cost more so I contacted the company and asked if there was ANY reason why the sheep couldn't have the cattle version. They said there was a slight difference in the formula, but other than that no. They do pellets for cattle,sheep, poultry, horses, goats, llama, pigs even dogs and cats. Get on line, pull up the ingredients list and compare. If not sure, ask the company!

Also, when I had many pigs and before I knew about VermX, I sent Norbrook an email explaining being a smallholder and poor etc, but that I had Noromectin drench in stock and would it be safe for pigs. The company vet got back to me and explained how to dose with it, per KG, withdrawal rules etc as the water supply is a 20 litre jerry can filled twice daily.

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Onemore

• Joined Jun 2018
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 01:49:21 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I have a new vet - here in NI, most general large animal practices have no interest whatsoever in pigs.  There are relatively very few smallholdings here, compared to the number of large commercial units.  Makes it tricky to get a decent vet, or to find an abattoir to do a private kill for instance - a largely ignored part of the market, hopefully it improves with time.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 01:55:48 pm »

Hopefully, someone from NI with pigs can help. Otherwise ask in the feed store if there is anyone else who buys pig food that might also have bought wormer.

Are VermX pellets are a wormer - I thought that claim had been withdrawn?

Do you have worm counts [member=194324]PipKelpy[/member] so you know it is doing the job?

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 03:00:47 pm »

"We are often asked why we do not make our research papers available or why we do not label Verm-X as a wormer. Verm-X is not a registered pharmaceutical product. In the EU there are strict guidelines, governed in the UK by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate, that restrict the use of words and information, such as our research and studies, that may portray a product as a registered medicine if it is not. We at Verm-X have worked closely with the VMD since our launch to ensure we comply with these regulations.”

That is what is written in VermX's website. My words were that I used it as a wormer, which I do, I don't give chemicals to the little darlings here! Mainly because I don't have large numbers and wormer only seems to come in big bottles. Years ago, I bought a 250ml pour on for the cattle, which lasted 1 almost adult and 2 youngsters 2 years as you treat by the weight. We don't all have a neighbour who will give wormer! I prefer the oral wormer as you know it's in the gut, but that means wrestling with a mouth (and teeth) to drench and sheep you can jam into a corner, cattle you cant! The pellets were bought for cattle primarily but the sheep have them too. Lambs get the proper drench!

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 08:06:25 pm »
I asked the question about Verm X because I thought they did once claim it was a wormer and now they don't. If someone wants to use it as one then fine, I don't have a problem with natural remedies. Or not worming if you don't need to. I was just interested that if you did use Verm X, did you do egg counts to monitor it's efficiency? If you don't, fine.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 09:19:59 am »
I’m also looking at wormers. Not keen on the idea of injecting. Flubenol comes in big 600g tubs but DEFRA info says it has a shelf life of five years. Obviously the post-mixed feed would be disposed of daily (as if there’d be any left!). If this is the case and you always intend to have pigs each year it’s not too bad. I rang the local farmers co-op but they said they didn’t really have much for pigs, although the could order this stuff in.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 08:32:37 pm »
I asked the question about Verm X because I thought they did once claim it was a wormer and now they don't. If someone wants to use it as one then fine, I don't have a problem with natural remedies. Or not worming if you don't need to. I was just interested that if you did use Verm X, did you do egg counts to monitor it's efficiency? If you don't, fine.

My bad, I dont. I wormed faithfully like a trooper and about 10 years ago lost 2 good lambs, clean as a whistle, vet was flabbergasted. 10 acre, no cattle, 30 sheep so well understocked! He suggested VLA and worm burden diagnosed, said they'd never seen such a high reading! They checked my books, been working correctly and used proper stuff then he noticed the problem. (I'm a stickler for paperwork!) Local store had recommended the wrong wormer (white instead of clear) for that time of year! I then spent the next 12 weeks worming every 2 weeks to clean ALL sheep and doing samples. Took a while to get the land "clean". Learnt my lesson! Tup comes in every year off the same breeder who shows, and cattle come from same farm. Also now down to 8 sheep and once all big, 4 cattle. Again, really understocked!!! With lambing indoors, I see muck . Visible worms, vet told me are/can be problem. Non visible arent! I'm not saying I don't have them, I just don't see them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS