Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Septiclense and sheep essentials  (Read 1156 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Septiclense and sheep essentials
« on: April 03, 2019, 08:56:09 pm »
Trying to put together a stash of stuff for the sheep - is the product Septiclense the same as gentian violet?

I’ve checked the page here for equipment you need to begin with and have most things.

Can anyone confirm just the basics of things you might need? Do I need a dosing gun and are there any recommendations?

If anyone remembers me asking about sheep before - I now have 16 yearlings! I know majority recommended getting a couple of older ewes to help with training. We’re giving them a couple of weeks but the person we got them from has said we could come back for a couple of older ewes with lambs to help show the others what to do. (Not sure how they’ve learnt??) We definitely need to wrangle them somehow so we can move them between fields etc.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Septiclense and sheep essentials
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:12:32 pm »
It would be useful to get a small trough and offer them some sheep coarse mix every day to tame them up. Then they will eventually follow a bucket as and when you need to move them.

My list of essentials for day to day sheep care- mineral bucket, blue antibiotic spray for feet (I found the purple septiclense stuff next to useless), jakoti shears for crutching, fly preventative for after shearing and applicator. A dosing gun for when they need worm or fluke drench is useful- mole valley do a good one that’s cheap enough. Medicine book to record any treatments.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Septiclense and sheep essentials
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 02:49:50 pm »
Definitely get them used to food, it makes life so much easier! They like a routine too so will get used to being fed the  same times of day. Its also very useful to feed them in an enclosed area so you can catch them in emergencies.

I would ask the vet to call in and see the sheep too, vets will usually dispence drugs over the phone if they have seen the animals previously. You could also ask advice them practial advice on foot trimming, antibiotic spray and fly treatment, worming etc.

Essentials are foot trimming shears, antibiotic spray, wormer/fluke, fly treatment and preventative (pour on), lots of scissors for trimming fleece away from fly strike and poo on bums.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS