Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb kill or cure?  (Read 2434 times)

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Lamb kill or cure?
« on: March 31, 2019, 05:07:55 pm »
Hello,  :wave:
I have 4 bottle lambs. 2 texels and 2 suffolk crosses. The texels are a week older than the suffolks, and one of the suffolks wont get up. Every time I feed them, it thrashes around lying on its side scraping the straw out from underneath it so its exposed to the concrete underneath, and only feeds when its lying down. Every few minutes it does a deep belching bleat as though its in pain. It can walk but only for a few seconds at a time, then its legs just give way. Im worried it will hurt itself one day. It does feed, just milk, it doesnt get up to eat anything else, or even water. All its feed is milk 3 times a day.

My only consolation is I had to tube feed it before and now its feeding from a bottle?

Any ideas what could be wrong? Also the other suffolk has scours which I am treating with Molecare Scour Formula Plus from mole valley farmers, but doesnt seem to be all that keen on it it only about 150ml this morning and was very stubborn >:(

The vet has been twice but has given me some vaccines to give it but they dont seem to have done anything.I guess my main question is is it worth the time and money or do I just knock it on the head?

TIA :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lamb kill or cure?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 05:38:48 pm »
You need to hold it in the correct position as you feed it or the milk won’t get into the correct stomach - and yes, it will be in pain if the milk is going into the rumen.

How old is it?  We had a floppy lamb once, didn’t manage to stand for the first ten days but it came right. If it’s been longer than that, I’d think the portents are not good. 

What does the vet think it is?  Did they mention swayback at all?  Swayback is caused by copper deficiency in utero, and leaves skeletal weaknesses. If it’s swayback and it can’t stand now, it’s unlikely to.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 09:02:19 pm »
You say it sounds in pain , so I think you know the answer  :bouquet: . You don't say if it did this from birth ? if yes could be oxygen starvation ??

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 04:17:47 pm »
Sorry for the slow reply. Thanks sally and shep53 i think i do kniw the answer now yes. I brought them at a week old so I dont know about oxygen starvation. I did wonder though. No sally the vet didnt mention swayback. She thoyght it might be a navel infection from dirty lambing conditions or some other birth issue like that. But nothing has worked.

I think its curtains for it now. :-\

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 01:01:23 pm »
Fyi, the vet came yesterday and said theres no point carrying on with it. So he put it to sleep. Thank you all for your advice.

It is now well buried to stop anything finding it. Especially the buzzards that have been looking suspiscious for a few other things recently. ::)

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:23:48 pm »

]It is now well buried to stop anything finding it

Opps

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 01:36:13 pm »
Probably best not to broadcast that you buried it ! Ought to have been collected by the knackerman or local hunt.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 02:01:30 pm »
oh....oops :eyelashes:
thanks

well they are pets so i guess that makes it exempt. ;)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 03:05:14 pm »
The comtaminated water courses dont know it is a pet.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 04:13:00 pm »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fallen-stock#ban-on-burying-or-burning-fallen-stock

Note the pet section- whilst you can bury pets it doesn’t apply to farmed animal species so no you cannot bury your pet sheep or lamb.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:14:47 pm by twizzel »

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 04:33:06 pm »

You are going to need a ticket from the fall stock chap for your movement book as you have movement
      on to your holding and not off
     I think you will have to dig it up and call fallen stock

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 04:45:59 pm »
True. I hadnt thought of that.
Ill dig it up if its a problem. I just didnt want to attract any predators that might find the rest of them.
Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS