Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying a small farm  (Read 1199 times)

Victoria1140

• Joined Mar 2019
Buying a small farm
« on: March 30, 2019, 09:08:14 pm »
My partner and I plus three dogs and a fishtank are looking at relocating to northern Ireland once we sell our home in mainland UK.

It's been my dream to get back out in the countryside for years and I want fresh air for our health as much as our mental well-being.
Can't afford anything in the mainland and love northern Ireland though I will have to fly back every four days for my job as it's paying the living costs initially.

We know we want land for the dogs as one is a rescue who isn't keen on people.
The places that suit us are farms and we know we want chickens,allotment .

However what sort of rates/council tax is levied on a farm , are there any extra outlays we aren't aware of are reasons why I joined this site to get info.

I can deal with septic tanks, house renovations,etc as a matter of course as I'm quite handy but any advice from others would be greatly appreciated as I know I will be having to commute back to my job ,work four days and then back home so my poor partner will have to shoulder any responsibilities while I'm keeping the place paid for

Weve seen one place that would suit us but can't do anything until we sell.
All advice will be gratefully received

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Buying a small farm
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 05:32:16 pm »
In Scotland, agricultural land / bioldings are currently exempt form rates. We pay Council Taxon our house like any other residebntial property.
Good luck with the search - I haven't been to Ireland but Dan has and he says it's lovely.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 09:38:20 pm »
In Scotland, agricultural land / bioldings are currently exempt form rates. We pay Council Taxon our house like any other residebntial property.
Good luck with the search - I haven't been to Ireland but Dan has and he says it's lovely.
Similar in England. No idea about Northern Ireland
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Victoria1140

• Joined Mar 2019
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 10:03:33 pm »
If I use the land for general allotment , running the dogs,chickens.

Am l liable for any taxation or misuse of the land.

Our plan is to be more of a smaholding but the farm we saw with four acres of land would suit our needs better as we also have an idea of making part of the farm pay by doing dog friendly holiday let's or air BnB  but that's a long way into the future ATM

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 11:35:29 pm »
 :wave: Hi Victoria. I can’t answer your query but wanted to welcome you to TAS forum.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS