Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Compact Tractor & Zero Turn advice  (Read 1460 times)

DavidM

• Joined Mar 2019
Compact Tractor & Zero Turn advice
« on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:28 am »
Looking for advice on best compact tractor with a cab around 30-40hp which will be used for looking after 6 acres. 4 acres is a field and 2 acres is garden area with around 20% trees which would be hard to get close to cutting grass with a compact. Would be looking to cut the field with a flail. Also need to use a tipping trailer.

At present just have an Alko Ride on which we were advised to buy for the garden area but it takes far too long to cut the grass (Don't use the collector have mulching plug)

Have been to local John Deere and Kubota Dealers so far but would be willing to visit others or go for an older second hand model.

John Deere have been very helpful and visited the property and went over many options. They suggested buying a tractor and Zero turn mower for the garden area as much easier to cut with this than tractor due to trees.  Have driven John Deere 2036R compact and the Z540R Zero turn. The Zero turn seemed a decent bit of kit on a test around there grounds.

Kubota have also been very helpful although a smaller dealer than John Deere so have had to visit some machines on sites where they have sold them - In some ways this is good as you get to hear what there customer really thinks of the product. Have driven the STW34 and B2311 - Inside the cab these seems better than JD (No air con on JD and cloth seat going to get dirty quickly) They are also going to arrange a test drive on the Kubota Z122R (This is 42 inch compared to the JD 54 inch) and also a Stiga ZT5132T

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Compact Tractor & Zero Turn advice
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:12:23 am »
It always come down to budget.

A front deck mower makes it easy to get under trees and up close to stuff but mowing is also about terrain and speed. I have 3 acres of lawn with lots of tree 'islands' and difficult bits around ponds and between orchard trees all of which my front deck husky copes with well... but o the wide open bits it's limited speed makes things slow going compared to topping my fields with a tractor and 6ft topper.

A simple solution would be a finishing cutter behind the tractor except that it's on agri tyres and would chew up the lawns except in the driest weather and grass tyres wouldn't cope with my fields/hillsides and wet areas or take a plough/rotorvator.

If it wasn't down to budget I'd own a second tractor. If I was a  good mechanic I'd own a cheap second tractor.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS