Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Caddy lambs not feeding  (Read 1474 times)

Orkneylucy

• Joined Mar 2019
Caddy lambs not feeding
« on: March 20, 2019, 11:30:45 am »
We picked up two caddy lambs yesterday - they are coming up three weeks old. They had previously been with their mother but bottle fed as the ewe wasn’t producing milk.
One has barely fed at all - about 200ml total and the other was feeding well but has stopped now.
Is that to be expected after removing them from the ewe and moving them to a new home?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Caddy lambs not feeding
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 06:20:34 pm »
Difficult to guess but have you changed the milk powder brand or mix ?  may just be missing mum but if they have been bottle fed before then they should have just kept going .   Are they eating creep pellets / hay /water ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:04:19 pm »
They can be very sensitive to temperature changes, so coupled with the change in home and losing their mum, a bottle that’s a little cooler or a little warmer than they are used to might put them off. 

It’s actually rather easy to burn their mouths if you’ve judged the temperature wrong.  My test is to close my eyes and squirt some milk on the back of my hand.  If I feel it, it’s the wrong temperature.  If it feels warm, it’s too hot.  If it feels cold, it’s too cold.  Do this test as you are stood next to them, about to feed them, not in the kitchen before you carry the bottles across the blowy yard to the byre... ;)

If they have burned their mouths, it may also cause dark stools as the over-warm milk caused damage as it went through their digestive tract.  They usually recover, unless the milk was really hot.  But you might need to tempt them to eat for a few days.  Sometimes mixing some yoghurt in makes it more palatable, and if they’ve been burned, they may want it a bit cooler than you would normally feed it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Orkneylucy

• Joined Mar 2019
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 07:16:07 pm »
Thank you for the advice. The feeding has gone even further downhill today. They are on the same powder as they were on before the move.
We are going to try and persevere and try the temperature trick to try and get it consistent each time. Fingers crossed they will perk up in a day or two.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS