Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and woodland  (Read 1667 times)

Doddie82

• Joined Sep 2018
Pigs and woodland
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:51:21 pm »
Do pigs eat bluebells?
I have 15.5 acres, I plan to only have 6-8 pigs in the woodland. They will also have pasture to go at.

Thank you

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Re: Pigs and woodland
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 09:42:07 am »
They may well do if they are present in your woods and I cant believe that eating them would do them any good(?)!   

Our pigs can be quite selective what they eat and are quite surprising with their choices sometimes.  They aren't keen on carrots, or cabbage for example, which was a surprise to me. 

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:59:43 am »
They will certainly grub them out …. so if you want to keep bluebells then pigs is not a great idea.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Doddie82

• Joined Sep 2018
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:04:17 am »
Thank you

How about Badgers and pigs-

I have a couple of setts and want to re do the stock fencing. Want to keep pigs in and allow the badges to come and go as the do????

Cheers

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:00:24 am »

8 pigs on that acreage aren't going to decimate it quickly. Are you fattening them?  Turning out weaners into that area wouldn't be a good idea. They need to be fenced in smaller areas.

Anything a badger can get through a pig will escape through. Badgers tend to push under fencing and eventually your pigs will follow. A large sett would potentially be a problem with small pigs tempted to go in and pigs digging up around the entrance. I would fence areas for your pigs away from the setts. It isn't unknown for vehicles to go through badger tunnels when travelling over them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS