Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I think I gave my goats fermenting grapes. Is that bad for them???  (Read 969 times)

crazygoatlady

• Joined Apr 2018
 :-[ Hi all. I think I gave my goats fermenting grapes and one of them looks a bit sorry for himself. Is that a problem???

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: I think I gave my goats fermenting grapes. Is that bad for them???
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 10:18:18 am »
I know that they can cause liver failure in dogs, I would ring the vet immediately

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:30:51 am »
I would suspect bloat.  Is the rumen working, or is the belly distended and hard?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 11:05:52 am »
:-[ Hi all. I think I gave my goats fermenting grapes and one of them looks a bit sorry for himself. Is that a problem???

Multiple goats, fermenting grapes? Surely you can't have given many to each goat, in which case I wouldn't be worried. (It is the grapes themselves  that are poisonous to dogs, ruminants are not normally affected.)
Or do you have some sort of wine making set up and have given your goats an unusually large amount of fermenting grapes?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS