Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goat coats  (Read 9892 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
goat coats
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:19:14 pm »
Do goats that are not going to be housed 100% indoor when it gets colder need coats? seen some really lovely ones, think savannah would definately suit purple  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: goat coats
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 08:27:06 pm »
is she a toggie?  she'll grow a beautiful winter coat of her own... that will cover your summer garden with moulting hair til the end of September!

but then... some girls are just glamourous  ;)
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:36:52 pm »
she's saanenx - was white when we got her but now she has black cheeks which was a bit of a surprise! reggie is toggieX so might have a nice coat like his mummy did.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 09:46:03 pm »
I think it is good to have a couple of coats in reserve for winter or when they feel poorly. Some of the older goatbooks have descriptions/patterns for them for you to make yourself... the nice fleecy ones are quite expensive, I got one of each (goatling and goat), fortunately OH doesn't check the credit card bills too often... will make some more in winter though, using the bought ones as patterns.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 12:30:24 pm »
I aggree with having some around for if they are sick but if you start to coat healthy ones they won't grow one of their own :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:52:47 pm »
Mine live out all year with a stable inside a building to go in when they want.Ascot Smallholding Supplies do goat coats from about £18.00 to £29.00 if my memory serves me well

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 08:51:31 am »
Only my oldie George has a coat, that's really because he is quite boney and fragile now.  He seems to not mind it.  I'm never too sure when to put it on really but do wait until it gets colder and he wears it all winter.  I also got mine from Ascott but you can't choose the colour and his is superman blue.  :D  I would post a pic but always have problems.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:41:03 am »
I think I might get some for just in case - when my poorly nanny was dying I had to wrap her in a blanket and it slipped off when she moved so it would be good to have coats.
they have the shed to go into when they want to, if its really cold I think I'll shut them in of a night (which they won't like!) but it will keep them draught free.
Boo!! to not getting choice of colour - savannah is a girlie girl and won't want blue  ;)  reggie, being named after a Kray might not appreciate pink, this could get interesting  ;D

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:08:44 pm »
Boo!! to not getting choice of colour - savannah is a girlie girl and won't want blue  ;)  reggie, being named after a Kray might not appreciate pink, this could get interesting  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »
I know a lady who keeps goats who makes coats for sale- they are expensive but super thick like a horse rug. And she would let you choose colours! They are good to have when an animal is sick- really handy.

http://www.martins-park.com/goatblankets.html

Beth

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 10:27:45 pm »
Oh wow, I love the tartan one!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 06:32:38 am »
Hi all,  regarding goat rugs.  I make the ones referred to by Ballingall and can guarantee that in 99% of cases, they simply do not slip !!!!

Better to have your goat warm & dry in the very cold weather than risk illness and vets bills.

I live on the north edge of Dartmoor where the wind and rain can be very unpleasant, so once the temperature stays down (cold)  all mine wear rugs particularly the thin coated ones.  Certainly all the boys wear them.

I make to order and to your measurements.  These rugs are made of exactly the same materials as horse rugs, are very hardwearing,  can be washed and dried very quickly indeed.

M<y tel no is  01647 231456   if anybody wants to talk about them.  Evenings best/after dark !!!!!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:50:31 am »
thank you Wytsend - I love your website by the way, looks fab!!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 09:18:45 am »
Thanks for that.

I do recommend coats if a goat is not housed 24/7 in the winter.   Their coats are not waterproof as you probably know and they do get cold easily, even ones with long hairy coats.  In a lot of cases there is simply no undercoat which would protect and insulate them.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: goat coats - DISCOUNT !
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 01:39:28 pm »
Discount available on multiple orders.  Suggest several owners get together, with 1 order to 1 address and discount will apply !!!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS