Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding triplets  (Read 4529 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Feeding triplets
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 04:41:28 pm »
I know sheep have tougher udder and reats, but when my Boer had triplets, they actually bit her teats by trying to hang on when another tried to push in. One expensive vet bill and antibiotics, i now keep a close eye on triplets and remove one when i see them getting rough.

This happens in sheep too, and is probably the main reason the triplets mothers get mastitis.  The cuts provide an entrance route for infection, and the stressed ewe’s immunity is lowered by the demands on her system.

I’ve seen orf on the udder when the ewe doesn’t have enough milk too.  (Doesn’t have to be triplets, just any situation in which growing lambs are aggressively seeking more milk than the ewe can give.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 08:14:21 am »
Turns out I may need a new scanner another set of triplets scanned to twins ????
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 09:48:23 am »
At least your cade lamb will not be lonely.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 09:38:39 pm »
Not doing bad!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 07:36:22 am »
Turns out I may need a new scanner another set of triplets scanned to twins ????

not much point scanning if they are not accurate
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 09:16:28 am »
LAMBING UPDATE

so we finished lambing yesterday afternoon

in total we had 13 lambs from 5 ewes 3 x triplets and 2 x twins 9 ewes and 4 tups

1st ewe:  all ewe lambs all growing well and not started giving bottle as yet, ewe seems to be managing fine and will continue to keep a close eye on her, no assistance with Lambing

2nd ewe; again all ewe lambs this time she has rejected a lamb after 7 days so i have been bottling 3 times a day when i call in to check on sheep, she is taking 150-200mls per meal, no assistance with lambing

3rd ewe: twins  1 ewe and 1 tup, again no assistance and and up suckling almost straight away

4th ewe; she had twin tup and ewe, but i noticed the week before lambing that one of her teat was 4 x the size of the other i feared it could have been mastitis but once she lambed there was plenty of milk coming out, so i started stripping the milk from it and fed the tup lamb with bottle keeping both lambs with the mother yesterday the tup lamb was latching on to the teat and it seems to have reduced in size, again no assistance

5th ewe i had feeling was carrying triplets with the size of her, she was in labour for a while turns out she was breached so had to assist and get the back legs out, it was a wopper of a tup lamb next 2 came out fine, 2 tups and a ewe
all have had plenty of colostrum but mother seems to be doing well and all are suckling so will play this one by ear again and if one starts to fall behind will have bottle on hand

thanks for reading

animalcrackers

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 05:47:16 pm »
I would always choose the lamb which is the most different in size to the other 2 lambs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS