Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to East Carmarthenshire - Advice on getting pigs  (Read 1471 times)

ctm1905

• Joined Mar 2019
New to East Carmarthenshire - Advice on getting pigs
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:45:42 pm »
Hey Everyone,

My partner and I have moved with the in-laws to East Carmarthenshire (near Llangadog). We've got about 32 acres, with about 3 acres of woods.  :)

I've already found this site very useful, but i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as we've never had livestock before.
We'd like to get a couple of weaners, we've built an ark, upgrading fencing, etc but the thing I'm unsure about is getting a herd number for pigs? We've got our CPH already, but I'm struggling to work out from researching online about what to do next. Do we just have to register on eaml2 ?, then you can register movement to our holding on the site, and arrange to get ear tags? Thanks

thanks

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: New to East Carmarthenshire - Advice on getting pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21:32 am »
Sorry I don't know the rules for pigs, but wanted to say welcome to the site  :wave: I am sure a pig keeping expert will be along shortly  :thumbsup:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:26:29 am »
I found the easiest thing was to phone the people who sent us the CPH number. They were very helpful and I knew that I was doing all the right things in exactly the right order. :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:10:07 pm »
 :wave:   I'll let piggy people tell you more about piggies … ( I can help with most other livestock!)
…  but if you don't already know....there is a smallholder group meet in Cwmdu (near Talley) first Wed eve of month  and  it has a Fb page   Talley and Cwmdu Smallholders (a request there about piggies could help?).  I live in Talley as does Bionic (on here) …..   Lots of smallholders in area and some as new as you.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

ctm1905

• Joined Mar 2019
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 03:15:35 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.

@ Backinwellies Thanks, We've been to a couple of Talley smallholder meeting, I think you were MCing the last one I went to!

[member=24439]Possum[/member] Thanks, we got our CPH online, but spoke to a breeder we were looking to get weaners who said best to just give APHA and they should be able to provide one. I'll try and update this thread once I've got it all worked out, in case any future user is in the same position I'm in now.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:20:16 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.

@ Backinwellies Thanks, We've been to a couple of Talley smallholder meeting, I think you were MCing the last one I went to!

….. I wondered if you had … but ctm1905  doesn't give much away!

Oh and yes you will find I am MC at most meetings :)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 10:30:20 pm »

:wave:

Yes, register on the eaml2 site. The vendor sets up the move. When they print the movement licence a covering letter is also produced that tells you that you need a herd mark and how to get it.

Your weaners, unless bought from an auction, do not need tagging to move to you. They will need your tags to go to slaughter.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:23:53 pm »
Hi  :wave: and welcome to TAS forum. I don't know much about pigs although I have been tempted to have one or three. I do know the area you are in though and would love to live there myself.

Have you posted on the pig page further down the forum list? Not everyone reads the introductions.

ctm1905

• Joined Mar 2019
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 05:30:20 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, I rang the Animal and Plant Health agency (0300 303 8268 in Wales), they took my CPH number and said they'd be able to assign me a Herd number and post the details through. That should give everything I need to register on eAML2.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS