Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mixing wormed ewe with lamb, with non wormed pregnant sheep  (Read 3590 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Mixing wormed ewe with lamb, with non wormed pregnant sheep
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 11:37:20 am »
I take it to mean "all of the above". But you're right, I am in no way qualified to interpret that text! [member=24953]lord flynn[/member] - any ideas?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 11:37:42 am »
I see your excerpt and am none the wiser!  Lol.  I used to be able to read and comprehend that sort of stuff, but it’s all a very very long time ago now...  :-\

(Nearly 40 years!  Oh my gosh, however does that happen?! :o )
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 11:39:01 am »
Ach, it's all changed since then anyway Sally. 40 years ago we still cut hooves off for footrot and put newly wormed sheep out onto clean pasture.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 11:42:35 am »
Ach, it's all changed since then anyway Sally. 40 years ago we still cut hooves off for footrot and put newly wormed sheep out onto clean pasture.

Very true.  But I think the language and its interpretation wouldn’t have changed.  I used to be able to read that sort of article like it was in my mother tongue ;).  Now it’s like doing my Latin ‘O’ level all over again; pick out the words you know, make educated guesses at some of the others, try to fill in the gaps... say to yourself, “Life is surely too short for this”, and do something else.  ( No I did not pass my Latin ‘O’ level  :innocent:)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 12:12:29 pm »
Are the pregnant ewes fecal egg counted first?  Then worming again 6 weeks later with no FECs.  If no FEC how do you know if there are any resistant worms?  Are you using the same drug each time?  You really need to talk to your vet about this as needing to worm so often is a sure sign of a problem.

Ah - right, I see what you mean, I think I'm still acting on advice from years back. I thought that as the ewe became heavier and heavier in lamb the worms started to drag her down so it was best to worm her then again at lambing. I'm happy to be wrong though and see your point though so will discuss with my vet :) Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS