Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big Rant time!!! speeding cars..  (Read 6790 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Big Rant time!!! speeding cars..
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:38:25 am »
So, woke up this morning to a dead cat (hit by car/lorry) outside our house. Not just any dead cat but one of my cats kittens who had gone to live with a little boy who has cerebral palsy (2 doors down lane) and who totally adored him. no note through door, nothing.
Thursday, one of the carers who helps dress my  disabled mum everyday had her car written off seconds after she'd got IN IT! she was sat there while some man hit her about 60 mph and shunted her several metres along the path, nearly hit our wall. total write off.

we have a road that is used as a rat run for Long Lartin prison and also a food exporters (fruit and veg) and many are uninsured foreign workers.  both places have been approached about speed but nothing done.
we have a traffic action group but police taking ages about sorting sites for activated signs to flash speeders.

tomorrow local rag coming to photograph myself, kids and many neighbours waving slow down signs - not my normal monday afternoon but we've had enough!! its a 40mph road (with loads of bends so not an ideal speed anyway) but most travel at nearer 70mph.

sorry rant over!!   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

DIGGER

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Big Rant time!!! speeding cars..
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:25:40 am »
Liecestershire Police frequently have document and road tax checks at Magna Park may be you should ask for the same exercise in your road.

Digger.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:34:09 am »
Try holding up the dead cat for the photo  >:( We get them down our road too - it only goes to the golf course and the army camp.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:38:59 am »
  Its when the travellers lean out of their cabs and slap your mule on the rump you should worry ::)
I got hit by a car when walking Malaga to work to the Domestic Fowl Trust when I worked there a few years ago.It was when they had closed up half of North Littleton and obviously some mother was late takig her son to school.I could hear her comming down the lane and thought "That cars far too fast.We were on the Z bend near the poultry farm and there was no footpath just a ditch and a hedge so I pushed Malaga over as far as was safe and she hit my bum with her wing mirror.She was very apologetic...didn't see me because of the sun (Maybe it was my Hi-viz)Well what do you do if you can't see?YOU SLOW DOWN! >:(
     I was very proud of Malaga my mule as he just stood there calmly I thought he was alright but it was after that we started to have leadership issues....it has taken three years to get him back on track and he still has confidence problems now :(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 12:08:11 pm »
I sympathise totally Plums.  Our road is similar in that it's almost single track but a rat run - city workers far too intent on getting to work, or back home, that they won't apply the brakes at all. Neds who use this as a speedway track at night.  White van delivery drivers go extremely fast, often using their mobile phones as they negotiate the blind summit-on-a-bend outside our house.  We have had lots - yes lots - of cars through our gates and fences, which is always work and expense.  We also once had a teacher who drove straight into the front of the school bus (maybe she had issues  ;D ).  We have had three dead cats,  a squashed chicken and this year several baby birds killed, and crossing to our fields on the other side of the road means risking our lives every time.  We have also had a driver spread out over the road with a fractured femur, cars upside down with screaming drivers inside - all in all it can be a stressful place to live.  We dread that squeal of brakes followed by a huge thump.  The police claim to be interested but in fact do nothing.  One or two drivers have gone to court if two vehicles have been involved, but the system seems to be fairly ineffectual. It's probably the usual thing of numbers, in that they might do more in town because more people are put at risk.  We have been told that this is nominally a 60mph road so there's 'nothing they can do'.  This seems to be a nationwide problem which needs dealing with centrally.  We have sometimes parked a tractor in such a way that cars can only get past if they squeeze by slowly and that does have an effect, but obviously we can't leave it there permanently.  Even drivers who have actually crashed here can be seen just a couple of weeks later speeding along cheerfully, obviously with no lesson learnt.
So good luck with your protest, and a big hug to the little boy whose cat was killed - that is so sad.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 12:08:52 pm »
We had 33 crashes on our road over a six month period . We started taking photos of each incident and sending them to the woman responsible at the council. eventually she got fed up and implored us to stop blocking her inbox. she instigated a road survey and her conclusions were that NONE of the accidents were speed related. The speeding is so bad that we sometimes drive to the neighbours next door as we fear to take our lives in our hands if we walk!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 12:20:37 pm »
We had 33 crashes on our road over a six month period . We started taking photos of each incident and sending them to the woman responsible at the council. eventually she got fed up and implored us to stop blocking her inbox. she instigated a road survey and her conclusions were that NONE of the accidents were speed related. The speeding is so bad that we sometimes drive to the neighbours next door as we fear to take our lives in our hands if we walk!

see when she asks you to stop you're making progress, double the number of photo's you send her of each incident!!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »
we are logging all the incident numbers etc and will continue to badger the relevant bodies. its a complete PITA - we can't even reverse out of our drive without panickign about getting hit!

jinglejoys - are you still local? we are Bennetts hill.  not had the pleasure of the travellers patting mine (or any of my livestocks) bums yet but my 8 year old has a 'boyfriend' on the cleeve site!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »
 :wave:Yep but made redundant from the DFT two years ago just before Chtistmas so now s**t shovelling for Claire Dysons racehorses in Cleeve Prior.Up side is there is pleanty of hard work,downside is I can't ride/drive/walk my Mules to work and back everyday in summer :(
   Rode down that track that comes out opposite the Prison a few weeks back and nearly got brushed off Picasso it was so over grown.Its only one traveller family that seem to have a problem most of them are O.K.They tried to frighten Picasso a few weeks back but he's too old to care ;)
   Don't use Bennets hill much (Always have a fear of someone running into the back of my mule)Sarah-lee my hinney always used to stop at the bottom because she sensed there were donkeys around ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 01:38:12 pm »
I know the family you mean  ;)  unfortunately daughters boyfriend is part of the family in question! he is lovely though, so's his mum, I keep distance otherwise.
our house is a few up from the donkeys - the one that stands alone and was for sale for ages (now I know why - its the road!!)
sorry to hear you were made redundant from DFT - I probably have even met you there, we've been going there for years with the kids.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 01:39:51 pm »
BTW, the DFT have a GG billy that they have said I can use for my saanenx girl Savannah. not sure what he's like yet but going along thursday to see if I can find out more.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 08:50:05 pm »
Plums - while you are at the DFT and check out the billy, take an old teatowel or similar with you and rub between horns (or where they should be), or get someone else to do it, and when you think your girl is in season let her sniff the rag. That way you can be sure she is in season (tail wagging and calling), if there is no male on site it may otherwise be very difficult to detect it - my billy rag arrived just in time... (double wrapped in plastic bags through the post - no smell outside!).hopefully my BT type girl is now "done" for this year... and she still smells!

Anke

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 09:13:32 pm »
Brilliant, thanks Anke. I'll do that.
have visions of your postman having to delivery your billy rag if it had been smelly  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 11:09:56 am »
Here is our moment of fame! can't believe how many people we fitted onto our front lawn and what a fab turnout!

http://www.eveshamjournal.co.uk/news/8449535.South_Littleton_parents_shame_speeding_drivers/

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 11:56:53 am »
Well done Plums, I'm impressed.  Hope no more squished moggies on your doorstep - I really felt  for the little boy whose cat it was.  Keep up the good work and let us know how things progress.  Good luck!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS