Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Building a cold frame - HELP!  (Read 5628 times)

HappyHippy

Building a cold frame - HELP!
« on: October 15, 2008, 07:47:47 pm »
Hello,
I've managed to acquire a toughened glass freezer lid with hydraulic hinges (ex farmfoods, lol!) and think it's just crying out to start a new life as a cold frame lid.
What would be best to build the sides from ?
I was thinking breeze blocks to support the weight but don't know how they'd be.
Any suggestions most appreciated  :-*
Karen  :pig:  :pig:

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: Building a cold frame - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:20:20 pm »
wooden fork lift pallets? their thrown everywhere these days you can make 101 things out of them as well as excellent firewood.           neil

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:33:14 am »
breeze block would be ok you might have to line them (polysterian)as i think they won't be very good with the cold not sure what weather is like for you in the winter. Windy and cold here. But i find it warmer than wales lol

Linz

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:17:24 am »
We saved the old sash windows from the farmhouse we have renovated, they have been behind the shed for 2 years now.  They came out last weekend as hubby made me one cold frame with them, for the main part we used several off cuts of backs (tree trunk off cuts from the timber mill), lined it with black plastic and it is now full of my hostas which have been divided to grow more for next year.  I have 2 more waiting to be made, these will be used next year to grow cucumbers and melons.
Ayls Fowler from Gardeners World, just fighting with the cat for the keyboard here, has a new book out called The Thrifty Gardener, she shows you how to make a cold frame, plus in this months edition of Gardeners World mag also shows you.
I would use pallet off cuts to make it, you can pick them up anywhere normally, your local builders merchants may be happy for you to take them of their hands free of charge, or go to your local council tip, in ours we have 2 wood recycle units, if you contact your council they should give you permission for a licence to recylce the wood there, I read in a magazine somewhere where a chap had done this and collected dumped bicycles , he renovated them and sold them one, recycled bicycles.
Hope that helps.
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS