Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Billies  (Read 2307 times)

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
Billies
« on: February 21, 2019, 05:40:34 pm »
I was wondering what people do to get their goats in kid if they just have 2 does? Is it best to buy a buck and sell him again? Or take them to a buck?

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Billies
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 09:41:23 am »
First couple of years I took my girls to stud. This year I had the opportunity to buy a male so I have used him. On balance I prefer to have my own stock

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:00:39 am »
I kept a billy once and never would again, apart from the aggression the stink was too much for me! I would ask at your local feed shop if anyone has a billy locally, or even put a wanted ad up in the shop. I suppose it depends on wether you want a pure bred kid or your breeding for milk and are happy with cross breds?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:50:20 pm »
When I had 2 goats i just took them to the billy the day they were on heat, then took them home again. Having worked with billies I wouldn't have wanted to keep one unless i had considerably more goats. The smell takes some getting rid off.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 11:55:38 pm »
I took mine to the male as I only wanted the milk. Male kids ended up in the freezer and so did any females I didn't want to keep.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 05:48:45 pm »
Thanks for your replies everyone. I think it will definitely be best to take them to a buck, at least for the first few years. How do you find someone who will take your does? We're in the South Staffordshire area, near Telford.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 06:44:15 pm »
Don't know what goats you have, ours are golden Guernsey and there is a stock officer for this part of the country and he knows where all the goats are. It was through him that I got my Billy, originating in Aberdeen via the Lake District

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 11:48:47 pm »
Thanks for your replies everyone. I think it will definitely be best to take them to a buck, at least for the first few years. How do you find someone who will take your does? We're in the South Staffordshire area, near Telford.

I'm in Telford and there are a few goatkeepers around. Sadly the local goatkeeping group seemed to fizzle out but I took mine to different people who have males. Are you in the Goaty Friends group on Facebook. I know a couple of local goatkeepers are on there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS