Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A couple of lamb questions please  (Read 2136 times)

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
A couple of lamb questions please
« on: February 19, 2019, 03:03:41 pm »
Hi all  :wave:

I have four lambs born early last April, three wethers and a ewe. I am keeping them as pets. They are fully vaccinated and wormed regularly.
The first question is about feed. At the moment they are on lamb finishing nuts and some grass nuts and they have hay as well. I've seen ewe feed which I'd be happy to get but what would I give the males?
Next is ear tags. As they are pets which tag would be the correct ones for them. I'm totally confused about them or would I get away with having those leg bands?
Thanks in advance

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: A couple of lamb questions please
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 03:24:15 pm »
Keep with the lamb finisher nut for all of them- although if they aren’t breeding they shouldn’t need much or any hard feed.

Were the lambs born on your holding? If so they need double breeding tags, yellow eid plus a secondary tag of your colour choice.

If they weren’t born on your holding they need double red breeding tags. Ring Shearwell or your chosen supplier and they will advise. They must be double tagged though, by law regardless of them being pets or not

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 04:16:02 pm »
Many thanks Twizzel for your reply. Very helpful  :thumbsup:

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:09:10 am »
I wouldn't feed them any nuts at all, just hay if you have a shortage of grass and a mineral bucket. Pet sheep like yours will put a lot of weight on over the summer months when the grass is growing and it can be very hard to get them to loose it again. It would be better for them to loose weight over the winter months and put it on over the summer.

Twizzel has explained about the ear tags :)

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 02:11:03 pm »
Many thanks  :thumbsup:

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 11:18:39 am »
Oh pets!!! I have a pet Hogg, born December 2014 and with being Dorset Down, every time she inhales i swear she puts on weight. A hay diet is what she's on. Her half sister, I lambed her this year but the lamb died, though it doesn't matter as she's staying permanently as she has an ability that i have never seen before in a sheep - She teaches calves manners!! Each calf that chases my sheep she will charge and headbut! The cow doesn't bother either! She's done it with a pig too. That alone ensures her place on my holding. Well done for having the pets!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 04:18:07 pm »
Thanks PipKelpy, glad I'm not the only one to have pets here. I love them all but have just posted as have had an issue with one of the wethers being aggressive  :(

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 07:35:20 pm »
Looking  at your other post, I'm presuming you know the breeder of the lambs, could you get them to tag them for you? They should have been tagged before leaving holding where born.
We get a feed called 'Tup and Lamb', but they probably shouldnt be needing anything now and over summer, beware hand feeding them as that can make them stroppy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS