Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home report required in Scotland?  (Read 675 times)


  • Joined Feb 2019
Home report required in Scotland?
« on: February 19, 2019, 02:59:33 pm »
Im hoping someone on here might be able to give us a bit of advice regarding buying a small holding.

We are currently looking at a property in Angus, Scotland that we have been told by the seller is a registered small holding. It is a converted steading with approx 5 acres.

The property is being sold without a home report as is usually required to sell a property in Scotland and the seller has stated that as the property is registered as a small holding a home report for the house is not required.

Can anyone who's purchased or sold a small holding in Scotland recently confirm if this is correct?

Thanks in advance


  • Joined Jun 2012
Re: Home report required in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 05:15:38 pm »
We sold our small farm in Scotland in 2017 and did not get a home report done as the farm is classed as a commercial property. We had about 47 acres & had been running a small livestock business  -selling beef, cattle, a few sheep & hay. VAT registered etc...

Our solicitor was experienced in agricultural property sales and was happy that we didn't need the home report to sell the farm. If you're serious about this property I would suggest getting confirmation from a good local solicitor who knows about agricultural sales.

Our buyer got a land agent to do a survey - to value the house, farm buildings and the land. He used Galbraith.

Hope this helps



  • Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: Home report required in Scotland?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »
As Sue says, it sounds like it's classed as commercial property - this will give you problems if you need a mortgage on it, because you won't be able to get a normal residential one.


  • Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Home report required in Scotland?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 02:53:39 pm »
Sue and Caroline are correct - though the seller must provide a home report for a house, this doesn't apply to commercial properties.

If you're interested in buying it, the first step would be for you to commission your own survey (be warned - I recently arranged one for an ex pub that our local development trust thought about buying, and it cost us £2K). Then as Caroline says, this could mean you can't buy it with a standard residential mortgage. There could also be capital gains tax implications as well, so expert advice is needed.

It is a converted steading with approx 5 acres.

Hmmm. I'd want to confirm that the conversion hadn't been done to proper residential standards before proceeding. It would also be worth checking that all the relevant planning permission and building warrant documents were obtained and signed off on completion of the conversion.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett


Smallholding registration help required

Started by alfie2244

Replies: 2
Views: 1036
Last post July 27, 2017, 05:17:38 pm
by regen
Street Traders Licence required

Started by ballaterach

Replies: 0
Views: 881
Last post November 07, 2016, 11:21:07 pm
by ballaterach
Is an Easement required for a Barn Conversion??

Started by bj_cardiff

Replies: 4
Views: 560
Last post July 18, 2019, 08:03:43 pm
by bj_cardiff
Loan required for LTD comp, smallholding project

Started by RareAGcoinz

Replies: 5
Views: 1587
Last post November 22, 2016, 08:29:52 am
by Womble
What livestock is required to live on a small holding

Started by SteveB

Replies: 13
Views: 1931
Last post September 16, 2018, 10:09:39 am
by greenbeast

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS