Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant ewe limping  (Read 3717 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Pregnant ewe limping
« on: February 16, 2019, 04:29:38 pm »
So my ewe started to limp yesterday so turned her over and checked her feet and gave them a trim. She seemed to be ok but started again today. Cleaned her feet again but now she seems to be limping on all four. Any ideas please? Is it a deficiency?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Pregnant ewe limping
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 06:53:02 pm »
Could be many things . most of the foot infections only affect 1or2 feet at any time but something like laminitis or erysipelas  can affect all 4 feet  .  If it persists then a vet will be needed

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 06:56:42 pm »
How far on in lamb is she? I wouldn’t be turning her over at all if she’s in lamb. No need to trim if lame either it’s been proven that trimming will slow up the healing process.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 08:11:10 pm »
Agreed Twizzel. Wasn't happy about doing it but felt so sorry for the poor thing limping round.
Will check with the vet 're laminitis etc. Thankyou

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 09:05:38 pm »
If they’re getting near to their time, it could be as simple as it gets tiring on the old feet, hoiking that weight around with you. Or so all my friends who’ve been pregnant tell me ;)  :D

It’s really not a great idea to be tipping up a pregnant ewe.  If you really can’t bear to leave it alone, pick up a foot like you would a horse.  But make sure the ewe is well restrained, and knows she is, so she doesn’t kick out and try to escape.  Stress is much worse for them when pregnant than sore feet is ;)

Best restraint in my view is another person holding her against a fence with her nose in a corner.  Hand under her chin, holding her head horizontal, one knee in front of her shoulder, your body against hers, other leg pressing against her rear leg behind her lamb bump.  Taking care not to press too hard on the lamb bump.   Other hand on her rump if you can, or steadying you against the fence.  If she knows she can’t move in any direction, she’ll stand calmly while the second person has a look at her feet.  Gentle but firm hold above the foot, turn the foot up behind as you would a horse.  Support the foot underneath as you look at it. Remember you are increasing the weight on the other three sore feet by 1/3 each as you lift one!  So don’t hold it up longer than you must.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:11:58 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 07:33:22 am »
You said you trimmed …. but did you spray with terramycin in case of infection?  With a lame late preg ewe  …. I would have just sprayed each foot (without turning)  and left any trimming till after lambing.  If any nasty smell then inj of AB   too  and still don't trim.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 08:21:50 pm »
No nasty smell, all feet sprayed. Watching her it looks like legs rather than feet. Vet tomorrow. Thanks for your help and your kindness

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 09:49:11 am »
I'd check between her cleats, sometimes you get a tiny (or obvious larger) bit of mud or straw stuck and it irritates them, spray with an antibiotic spray if you find anything. You should be able to tell if she's sore if you move the cleats apart to have a good look between them!  As others have said, get someone to hold her and pick her feet up like you would with a horse.

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 12:56:44 pm »
Yesterday I found one of my ewes also limping and had a quick look at her foot (RHFront) and found nothing untoward (not that I'd know).
This morning she wouldn't stand up and when I took food in front of her she wouldn't eat.
So I had another look at her foot and found no inflamation or problems between her toes but then I found a little black 'bit' just above the middle of her foot. I picked it out to reveal a little hole which I squeezed and out popped a thing like a brown seed followed by some translucent gue. No smell. While at it I checked the other feet and they all have the same hole and they all ooze the same gue when squeezed.
I was just about to call the vet when all of a sudden she is walking about with the others without a trace of a limp.
So I post this to see if it is relevant to bj's problem and whether anyone knows about this little hole and what it is for.
Thanks.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 03:58:44 pm »
They are scent glands which can get impacted , the brown seed thing was probably a plug ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:49:20 pm by shep53 »

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 05:27:22 pm »
Thanks Graeme  wish I had seen this earlier,  just been to the vets for strep &Pen and metacam. Another bill!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 07:47:08 pm »
Not that common to get impacted glands and would only affect one foot plus the gland is swollen and pus filled  .   I  assume you described the symptoms to your vet rather than taking the sheep or getting a vet out to examine , in which case the antibiotic and pain killer / anti inflammatory  are sensible to cover many things

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 09:43:22 am »
I did sheep, she seems to be no better this morning though

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 12:06:40 pm »
Pen -strep is a daily injection for say 5 days , so give it time

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 06:04:46 pm »
Thanks shep, have injected again today.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS