Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gate query  (Read 2097 times)

Paul83

• Joined Jul 2017
Gate query
« on: February 14, 2019, 11:26:13 am »
Hi,
I'm starting to plan location and fencing forn2 pens (for rotatuon purposes) for a couple of pigs that I'm hoping to get.

This will probably be a daft question but what size gates should I use? Is there a standard size? Looking at the field and farms around me, they seem to vary between 3ft, 4ft and 5ft.

Also, where is the best place to have them? On the corner or in the middle of a line of fencing? And should the gates be next to each other (2 pens) or apart?

Thanks in advance!
Paul

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Re: Gate query
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:35:26 pm »
What we have learned from our experience:

We have three foot gates - no real problems with width - we make a corridor from gateway to trailer with hurdles.  Other people might say consider a gate you can back a trailer into.

Gates to different pens at corner, ie next to each other.  Much easier to move pigs from one pen to another.  If we were doing it again we would actually add gates leading directly from one pen to another for that purpose.

Our gates open inwards and easily get blocked with rooted up mud.  If we did it again we would consider outward opening gates.

And, of course, fit inverted hinges!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:15:52 pm »
If you’re sure the areas will only ever be used for pigs, then for gate width consider wheelbarrows and possibly other equipment, plus backing a trailer up as already mentioned.

We have pig pens with 3’ gates and it’s a pain, because we can’t then use the grazing for cattle or ponies, and can’t get the quad bike in.  So we always go for 4’ minimum now.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:08:17 pm »
Min 4ft wide for me too. 

Quad bike and ponies can also then get through.  Besides, my beer belly is only going to increase in size!  ::)

Paul83

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 05:49:51 pm »
Thank you both for your replies. Looks like I'll get 4ft gates. Just didn't want to get it wrong!
Still a long way to go before I get them but getting there slowly but surely.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 08:44:37 am »

4ft min for reasons others have said. Hung so they open right back so one pig doesn't get the wrong side.  Consider how you will load. Gates that close up behind the pig can be useful at loading.

Drill through your hangings and put pins through so they cant lift off.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS