Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mud Glorious mud !  (Read 2372 times)

wizz

• Joined Oct 2010
Mud Glorious mud !
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:31:08 pm »
Its so muddy here ! Whats it like where your piggies are?

My boys have destroyed their plot so much that the entire area is now thick oozy mud ! we are up to our ankles & beyond in it and the pigs look like black pigs instead of GOS's. Their straw house is still lovely dry & warm but am thinking we might have to put paving slabs down to provide a dry/less muddy area for feeding!

Wizz  :pig:

HappyHippy

Re: Mud Glorious mud !
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:43:29 pm »
Yip, probably is worth doing that to keep it a bit less muddy (If I remember right, yours aren't away til January ?) Pigs love mud when it's hot and sunny, but they're not so keen on it when it's cold and wet  ;) Longer term (not that it matters with 'eaters') it can cause arthritus.

My fields are still okay (starting to get cut up around the feeding area), but then my wee Kunes don't plough the ground up  ;D The shed's on stand-by for the winter, although Kunes love the snow (allegedly ;)) if we get the same amount as last year I won't be able to find them !

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:47:05 pm »
Our mud is horrific and I havent got pigs.......just 5 horses!

wizz

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:20:18 pm »
well remembered ! the boys are away Jan11, think I have managed to borrow a trailer from my farmer neighbour going to do a recky to check out the narrow devon lanes!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:04:53 am »
We have mud in some places its welly pulling off thick, in others we just have surface water.  Am going to have to move the pigs in the lower lying fields as the springs have started.  Yet where they dig the earth is powder dry just a few centimetres below. 

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 02:47:01 am »
Oh plenty of mud, lucky my pens are all on top of the old GWR railway line, so these a good stone ballast base  ;) Opened pup the second pen for them today so they can have a bit more room to wonder, they've already started ploughing that one  :D :D :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS