Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sponges in goats  (Read 2642 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
sponges in goats
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:46:01 am »
I have also posted this topic in the sheep section as more people are using sponges with them, but if anyone has done with goats...

1) If the sponge has been out for more than 48 hours and goat has not come into season is it likely that she will soon, or has it not worked and I need to wait three weeks or so for her to naturally come into season?

2) How long can you keep the sponges in and still be fairly certain of them coming into season 48 hours afterwards? I am talking about 15 to 16 days,rather than 12 or so, as I have to go to a funeral next week and can't go as planned to get the goat mated....

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: sponges in goats
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:15:40 pm »
We have used sponges in goats before- normally with good success rate. 14 days is certainly fine to leave them in for, and you can probably get away with 15. If the goat has not come in season 48 hours after the sponge has been taken out, I would say yes it is unlikely she will come in. We find they are usually in season in 24 hours. You could try sponging her again if it was unsuccessful, but I would probably prefer to leave her to try and come back in naturally.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: sponges in goats
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:41:01 pm »
Hi Beth - absence of billy smell was the problem! Goat probably was in season on day 2 after sponge came out, billy rag arrived in the post on day 3, she sniffed it, tail wagged and she was in the trailer wihtin ten minutes and on her way.... fortunately billy was ready to do the job. I hope that's it - lesson learnt - never start the breeding season without a billy rag!!!

Sponges in the GG's will come out on day 15, so hope that will be ok too, but have to go away next week (unplanned).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS