Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my poor buff o  (Read 3339 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
my poor buff o
« on: October 08, 2010, 09:48:22 am »

i have 1 buff o in my flock and she is getting bullied

she's not the brightest thing even by chicken standards but she is the most affectionate and the prettiest!!!

every time she comes out of the coop the others chase her back inside if they are in the run, if they are free ranging its not too bad but she still has to make a run to a quiet area of the garden where she will spend her day alone  :( they don't appear to be bullying her in the coop at night but se isn't a happy chook on the odd days we have to leave them in the run...

the other side of this is as they are keeping her trapped in the coop they aren't going in to lay either so i'm getting no eggs with all the tension.

the buff o is 1 of three youngsters recently added to the flock the other 2 (both leghorns) are really quite young and very fast so just stay out of the way of any bullying and dart in and grab food etc between the older birds who try to bully them but can't catch them.

Any suggestions???

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: my poor buff o
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:53 am »
You say recently added, how recent? if it was just a few days ago I would give it a few more to see if it settles down, if it was a few weeks ago I would take her out, Do you have somewhere else she could live, not on her own though she will need a friend.
There is a nautral pecking order to be established but sometimes they just dont fit in at all, they may pick up on the fact that she is not bright, and with thier survival insticts will see her as a disadvantadge for the flock, they may know something you dont!! If all else fails rehome her.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:12:37 am »
its a week on sunday so i'll give it a bit longer...

we keep saying its cos she's blonde

i will build her a new house and get her some buff o friends if i have to as she is too lovely to let go!!!

she is very affectionate to people which is nice for the kids as well!!!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:21:44 am »
Bless. Hope she settles in ok.

:chook:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »
Buff-O's generally don't do very well in a mixed flock as they are prone to bullying due to their docile nature.

On the other hand they are flock birds and don't like to be on their own.

If you get her some new friends, try and get them younger than her - I'd only get 1 to start with, and maybe add another later.

Hope it all works out  :)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 02:26:59 pm »
she really is very docile and a bit dim

case in point go to feed them treats and she wants to peck the tin mug i use to carry them not the food...

but she does like her ticklesand hugs!!!

i'll give her 1 more week to try and settle if not it will be time for a spare buff o if i can source one, actually are all orpinngtons soft and stupid so i could maybe get her a different coloured friend if i have to seperate her from the surrent flock???

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:35:46 pm »
Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone on here can help you out?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:51:15 pm »
im in warwickshire

as i say im going to try for a bit longer as its been less than a week but i like to have a back up plan in case as she is beautiful and i dont waant to see her duffed up too much!!!

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:04:08 pm »
Oh I love my orpies too - they are the best. I'd say though that next time you make an addition it's better ( in my experience ) to introduce more than one new bird. It seems to cut down on the bullying even though they still establish the pecking order fairly severely !! x

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 09:13:59 am »
All orpies are pretty docile so you could go for a different colour, but on the other hand chooks tend to like to stick with similar marked chooks so if she had another 1 or 2 buff O's they might establish a mini flock within the bigger flock without need for physical seperation?
Good luck with it, I love Orpies - they are so sweet.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 11:49:04 am »
thanks all

we did introduce 3 birds but  they were all different, due to them being the ones that a nursery hatched to show to the kids and then there planned home not being able to take them...

oh no i might need some more buff o's what a hardship!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS