Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: off grid water  (Read 14843 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Re: off grid water
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 11:50:48 am »
We used to use spring water but as we were at the end of the line of 3 users it frequently dried up in the summer. About 14 years ago we had a bore hole drilled and share it with the farm next door - worth every penny. Environmental health - local council - come and test the water every 3 years. They take the sample from the kitchen tap. NO CHARGE! We have a septic tank but no one bothers us about that we just keep checking that everything is working as it should. I would really like a wind turbine as we have alot of wind here in the Peak District but as my husband and I have no technical idea it may prove costly as we would have to get a firm in to install the whole thing.
Karen

welshboy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 09:16:34 pm »
DIY Wind Turbine Plans
http://www.cd3wd.com/cd3wd_40/vita/windmill/en/windmill.htm

Borehole -we had one in the last property- worked fine - basically -drill hole until water found at sufficient flow, line hole, drop a pump down ,filter in surface manhole, piped to pressure tank in outhouse then piped water in house under pressure- thats it in a nutshell

Wellieboots

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 01:00:54 pm »
In Oz, there are huge grants & subsidies for remote properties (varies from state to state). We lived in Hillston for a few years (NSW) when I was over there and we had rain water stored to an underground tank (not a lot thou for most of the year). We also had a spring but both went through a pump/filter system before we got use of it. Due to the remoteness, we also had a sedimentation tank to limit the change on the filter as this was done by the NSW government (the local council in effect).

All there when we arrived.

Best of luck!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 06:42:17 pm »
re treating off grid water - we get ours from the neighbouring farm. It isn't always clean, after a lot of rain we have mud baths in the tub (supposed to be good for the skin ;D). A few years ago Environmental Health found coliforms most likely from cattle on the hill. the farmer was supposed to do something about it, but who knows. I decided when the kids were little to filter and boil all drinking water, in very early years even for brushing teeth and washing salads. Other than that - nil and  as far as we know we have been fine  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS